do I have to?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonyc318

Reaction score
Havent done a lager yet. Was looking at using wpl810 for a brew. I know I should make a starter. Check on that. Im wondering about lagering. Is it critical to lager? I will probably have to bottle condition this one. Dont really have the space to lager 50 bottles unless I want to skip brewing for another month.

WLP810 is a "hybrid" type of yeast. It's a lager yeast, but generally used at ale temperatures to produce a "steam beer".

It has some characteristics of a lager, but generally more fruity like an ale. It's not the super-clean and "crisp" lager flavor that defines a lager. It can still be a good beer, but not a true lager.

Yooper said:
WLP810 is a "hybrid" type of yeast. It's a lager yeast, but generally used at ale temperatures to produce a "steam beer".

It has some characteristics of a lager, but generally more fruity like an ale. It's not the super-clean and "crisp" lager flavor that defines a lager. It can still be a good beer, but not a true lager.

Thanks for the response yooper! I knew its was a hybrid and not a true lager. I was mainly wondering if the wlp810 needed to be lagered or not. So it still has some fruity character? Is it cleaner then say Notty, 05, or 1056? Seems like it should be. But again, I have no experience with it.

Thanks for the response yooper! I knew its was a hybrid and not a true lager. I was mainly wondering if the wlp810 needed to be lagered or not. So it still has some fruity character? Is it cleaner then say Notty, 05, or 1056? Seems like it should be. But again, I have no experience with it.

Hm. No, I don't think it's cleaner than nottingham at a cool temperature actually. It depends on your fermentation temperature, though. S05 is clean at 65-68 degrees, while nottingham seems to be really clean at 59 degrees. Wlp810 has a fruitiness to it at 63 degrees, but it's not unpleasant at all. It's just not really all that "lagerlike" to me.

Yooper said:
Hm. No, I don't think it's cleaner than nottingham at a cool temperature actually. It depends on your fermentation temperature, though. S05 is clean at 65-68 degrees, while nottingham seems to be really clean at 59 degrees. Wlp810 has a fruitiness to it at 63 degrees, but it's not unpleasant at all. It's just not really all that "lagerlike" to me.

That's really great to know. Has me re thinking a recipe. Might just go ahead for a straight lager. Notty is pretty good. I'm just starting to enjoy an over hopped Irish red fermented with Notty. Guess its more American red. Say I have a recipe that is target OG 1.050, at a cool temp like 59, is one pack sufficient?

That's really great to know. Has me re thinking a recipe. Might just go ahead for a straight lager. Notty is pretty good. I'm just starting to enjoy an over hopped Irish red fermented with Notty. Guess its more American red. Say I have a recipe that is target OG 1.050, at a cool temp like 59, is one pack sufficient?

Yep, one pack would work well for a 1.050 5 gallon batch.

Back