most forgiving styles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

breadbohn

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have read elsewhere on these forums that a brown ale (which I'm brewing now) is a pretty forgiving style, i.e., you can scew up pretty badly and still make a drinkable beer. Lucky for me!

What are some others that are forgiving in this sense? Also, which are the ones that really take skill and attention to detail?

Thanks,
Newbie Novice

I'd say most English and American ale styles are pretty forgiving. Most ferment in the mid to high 60's which is fairly easy to control and most have a fairly wide range as far as color, bitterness, ABV so it's easy to get a little off and still be ok.

On the flip side, American standard and light lager styles are fairly unforgiving - there's not enough character to the beer to cover up flaws. As odd as it may sound at first, beers like Budweiser are difficult to brew.

I'm a pretty big fan of brown ales and I'd just like to point out that not only are they forgiving but they're also more than one style! You can do Northern English, Southern English, American...then you can get into brown or robust porters and then into stouts. Just wanted to mention that. Brown ales rule.

Back