Finnings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

modenacart

Reaction score
When I brewed about 16 days ago, I realized I didn't have any irsh moss at the end of the bil. Now the beer is still in primary and there is a layer of foam still. The ambient temperatures are being keep at about 61 F. I plan on taking it down to about 50 F and holding there for at least another two weeks. I don't plan on transfering to a secondary as I am not sure there will be a real benifit. Is all the crap going to settle out even though I didn't use the irsh moss? I have not seen any of my other beers hold this layer of foam for so long before.

Sounds fine, I never use irish moss in any of my beers and they come out crystal clear after a nice crash cooling. If there is still a layer of krausen on top, don't cool it down yet, it's probably not done fermenting. When it's done that layer on top will fall out. Give it a few more days, take some hydro readings and go from there.

Sounds good. I don't usually take hydro readings to reduce risk of infection. I usually just wait until its really clear before I bottle or move to keg and at that point I take a reading. I have not had a problem yet.

Irish moss removes proteins, proteins are important for head retention. Not surprising the krausen is more persistent. Your plan sounds good.

your foam layer is more dependent on the yeast strain you used, than irish moss.

Just kegged today and it tasted really nice, at least I think so. It is a bit cloudy, I hope it clears some as it sits in the keg.

If anyone is thinking of using some sort of temp controller for fermentation, I say its well worth it. This batche is so much better since I used a temp controlled fermentation.

Back