Android BrewAide-Brew Day Assistant- Free

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I really wish there wasnt programs/people who format their recipe files wrong, I keep getting error reports for people getting crashes when trying to open recipes because they dont format their recipe file correctly. Then they rate it poorly very frustrating

New Version Released, Heres the update notes:
-Added Timer Check before opening new recipe
-Added Ability to read multiple recipe Files (see below for information)
-Added version popup to give description of updates
-Fixed crashes due to poorly formatted recipe files (mainly BeerXML from other programs, hopefully I finally covered all possible formation mishaps)
-Fixed displaying of updated Dropbox file on reopen, was updating the Dropbox but not the cache which is uses to reopen on launch when its the last recipe, so if you updated a recipe then closed and reopened app it would show the pre update version, if you closed again it would update back to pre update, so got that fixed

As for opening multiple files this is how it works, the larger the number of recipes the longer it will take to open. If you close with that file open it will have to reopen the file when you open the app. There is a dialog that pops up to let you know its working. Once open, going back into the folder and reclicking the file wont reload the file but bring up the selection again (this applies to single recipes as well, it wont reload the file but bring you directly to the recipe view). Updating only updates the current recipe and not the entire file, so if you switch recipes it wont update the previous recipe, however it should save the info until you close the app so if you switch back to it the info should still be there.

This does not change or effect any previous function with files, if you choose to still export your recipes in single files it will open them just as fast as before

As always hope you are enjoying the app and let me know of any new features requested

So started my leave early and was able to get some new features added in, new update was released this morning features include:

-Added Strike Temp Tool
-Added Hydrometer Temp Correction Tool
-Added Carbonation Tool
-Fixed some minor bugs
-Fixed some layout problems

Next Planned Updates:
-Shopping List Page
-Selectable Ingredients/Style to give detail info them
-And as always fix bugs as they arise

Hope you enjoy and keep the suggestions/bugs coming...my todo list is getting quite short

I'm really enjoying the app. One thing I've noticed that when i update the pre/post boil gravities on the Brew Steps screen that it doesn't save. It saves the notes/comments but the gravity values don't save. It states it is updating recipe file but next time i open it it reverts to the original values. I've tried it with both files saved locally and files saved in the dropbox folder with the same result.

I'm really enjoying the app. One thing I've noticed that when i update the pre/post boil gravities on the Brew Steps screen that it doesn't save. It saves the notes/comments but the gravity values don't save. It states it is updating recipe file but next time i open it it reverts to the original values. I've tried it with both files saved locally and files saved in the dropbox folder with the same result.

Have you updated to the newest version, There was a problem that didnt cause an error that I didnt realize. If you opened a recipe from dropbox it would update the dropbox file, but not the cache and when you closed and reopen it would load the cache file, then if you updated it would revert back. It is fixed now. And I tested the updating and it updates the gravity for me. So not sure where the problem is. One thing is you should make sure to hit the enter/next button as that causes it to save to info from the text field

I need your help!!!

I recently had someone send me a bug and through trouble shooting the bug realized that other programs cannot be trusted to export BeerXML properly. The two programs I looked at (BrewTarget and BrewMate) both do not follow the BeerXML standards found HERE. As such my program cannot handle them correctly. Ive done all I can to get the most accurate information out of a file no matter the format, but some are just too wrong to handle.

So what I would like is if you use a program other than BeerSmith (I know he does it right, since he created BeerXML originally) if you could look at the file in notepad (or whatever program you use to view xml) and compare with the standard, also try it with my app and let me know of any issues. This way I can add it to the help page of known compatibility issues

Edit: If you arent comfortable looking at xml you can always send me the file, with what program its from and I will take a look

You're welcome :)

Kudos to Adeering for excellent service and frequent bug fixes.

I need your help!!!

I recently had someone send me a bug and through trouble shooting the bug realized that other programs cannot be trusted to export BeerXML properly. The two programs I looked at (BrewTarget and BrewMate) both do not follow the BeerXML standards found HERE. As such my program cannot handle them correctly. Ive done all I can to get the most accurate information out of a file no matter the format, but some are just too wrong to handle.

So what I would like is if you use a program other than BeerSmith (I know he does it right, since he created BeerXML originally) if you could look at the file in notepad (or whatever program you use to view xml) and compare with the standard, also try it with my app and let me know of any issues. This way I can add it to the help page of known compatibility issues

Edit: If you arent comfortable looking at xml you can always send me the file, with what program its from and I will take a look

So Im really regretting putting in support for BeerXML now. I keep getting bad ratings because people cannot format their files correctly

Another Small update released this morning:

-Fixed some compatibility problems with a couple BeerXML exports and having the wrong format
-Added known compatibility issues to the help page (Need your help finding them)
-Added Support forum and automatic bug tracking

you always got back to being just support for Beersmith.. or telling people what BeerXML export you know work. It's not your fault other programs don't export correctly.

Yeah i know, just sucks, like having BeerXML support in there, it opens up the range of people who can use it. And have added the known issues in the help page (need to spend some time to format that nicer)

Just guess some bad reviews are going to happen, just hope enough people rate it positive to counter it

I set up my "Recipe" folder in the "Brew Buddy" folder and uploaded recipe in bsmx format.

I hit the drop box button, but the file does not appear, only the ..Back button appears.

I have a DroidX

Needs to be "Recipes" with an s on the end, gonna eventually change it to where it doesnt need it

Sorry Ive been gone and inactive for a few days, was driving across the country. Im currently on leave at my brothers place, so not going to be doing to much work on the app for the next week. Will do some updates and bug fixes in spare time. But I did get some fixes and just released an update. Not a big update just some minor things:

Fixed resuming with timers
Fixed saving of data when deselecting text boxes with touch screen
Fixed some minor bugs
Update help page format

I am receiving the errors from my support forum and working on them. The server is being updated currently so I dont have access to them, but once I get access back I will start work on the bugs

I am having problems importing my personal recipes from beersmith 2.1. When may we expect the cloud update? Or is there somewhere I can get instructions on importing now?

There are 3 ways to import recipes into BrewAide:
1. Connect your device to your computer and copy the exported bsmx file into your sd card. The default location can be found either on the help page or the settings page
2. Set up a dropbox account and export it to the BrewAide app folder, you will need to create a Recipes folder first and put it in that one
3. Connect your device to your computer and put it in a folder you can browse to using a file browser. Then select the file in your file browser, it should use my app to open.

Update on the Cloud service:
So Brad got back to me and cloud service wont be included anymore, it is more complicated than expected and he doesnt have the time to help with the behind the scenes code needed by me. So until he chooses to allow it, it wont be allowed

Update on the Cloud service:
So Brad got back to me and cloud service wont be included anymore, it is more complicated than expected and he doesnt have the time to help with the behind the scenes code needed by me. So until he chooses to allow it, it wont be allowed

honestly, Dropbox works better than the cloud for something like this. The Cloud is a nice idea, but I don't see it being as big as Brad hopes simply due to the pricing.

I am just not getting anywhere. Have tried all 3. Trying to get brew day on my tablet. I have gotten files to dropbox but when I open dropbox in brewaide it says its empty. I know it has to be me. Just not getting it.

Have tablet hooked to computer trying to save to tablet SD(android,data,com.brewbuddy,files,Recipes) when I export says I can't save to this location

I know I am being a pain. Have Recipes in dropbox, apps, brewbuddy. Have tried all three file types. Still get path'/Recipes'not found

I know I am being a pain. Have Recipes in dropbox, apps, brewbuddy. Have tried all three file types. Still get path'/Recipes'not found

dropbox>apps>brewbuddy>Recipes it HAS to be in the Recipes folder that you have to create
once there it'll work

(being able to change that folder would be a big help)

Yeah its been on my list of things to adjust, guess it will be high priority, Im now changing it to where it will default to the app folder for the first open.

Im making it to where it will bring still allow you to enter the recipe folder, so for those that already have the recipe folder they can still access it, but dont need to put it in there.

I just updated the app to allow dropbox to access the root app folder on dropbox instead of having to make a recipe folder. Also added the ability to Make folders now.

I got the phone working using the local folder. Can't get that to work on the Acer icon a 500. After update when I hit dropbox it does nothing at all.

Does any of the dialogs come up saying its trying to download the directory or anything

Also you dont have to use the default folder, you can choose any folder on the device, go into settings and change where it looks to the folder you put the file in

Edit: Also make sure dropbox is enabled in the settings

Its working now. Not sure what I did. I deleted and reinstalled and it worked. Thank you so much for your help. Can't wait for brew day!

Just put out another update, not a huge one but some much needed corrections:
-Fixed Extract Calculations for OG, Color, and ABV
-Fixed Post-Boil Calculations with longer than 60 min boil
-Fixed some minor bugs
-Obtimized Code
-Changed opening of files to be more efficient with multiple recipes

You will now see several dialogs pop up through the opening process but all are automatic. What it does now is download the file (if using dropbox) go through the file and pull the name of recipes out, if there is one recipe it then goes through and populates the data, otherwise it gives you a selection and only populates the one you choose. This allows for faster loading and prevents out of memory. Makes it slightly (very minimal) longer for single files but shouldnt be noticeable on most devices.

Nevermind. You should put in the help section....

sdcard/android..... for the folder location.

THat just killed me. Got it working now.

Newbie with android.

The problem is not all androids have sdcard/android, but glad you got it working. Dropbox is really the better solution, if you dont have it, its free

I did notice my sparge schedule is off. I'm doing 3 step - drain, sparge, sparge, and the app is saying 2 step, drain and big sparge.

And my dry hop is 7 days, yet the app says 60 minutes. Just 2 things I noticed while messing around. Overall, looks nice though.

Back