Pitched too cold?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nlpavalko

Reaction score
So, I brewed up my first batch tonight (see link for first post).

I think I may have pitched too cold. It was at about 56 and is right around 56-58 according to the stick-on thermometer on my fermenter.

Will I get fermentation? Should I be concerned? I know I didn't kill the yeast, but how should I warm the wort to wake things up?

Pale Ale post: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/first-brew-pale-ale-306262/

I think it will be fine, but which yeast did you use? Did you make a starter?

You should be fine, hows the weather in Ft Wayne tonight? My daughters up there at a concert as we speak.

The batch I brewed last had the wort chilled to 54F and it was going within 12-24 hours of pitching the starter slurry. It went up to 67F before going back to about 61F (ambient temp) once fermentation was complete. I used Wyeast 1318 (London Ale III) for this batch, which lists it's temperature range of 64-74F. So even though I was 10F below where they list it to be good/happy, it was able to get up into that range without me doing anything. Of course, it was sitting in an area where the ambient is/was 61F. Still below it's listed range by a few.

Basically, I would hold off on doing anything with it, temperature wise, for at least 24-48 hours after pitching. If the gravity has not changed at all, and you have zero fermentation sign in the batch, then get it closer to where the yeast is supposed to be happy.

Personally, I'd rather start at a lower temperature, letting the yeast get up into it's range, than start in the range and have it get above that temperature, and need to cool it down.

I used Safale US-05.

@ Kaiserbeirman, it's not too bad in the Fort. Temps at about 27 right now, but it's been warm-ish the last few days.

Back