Beer styles poster with the proper drinking glasses

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davekippen

Reaction score
I am a very visual guy and needed some kind of reference for what kind of glass should be used for which kind of beer. Disclamer - this is a total hack job! I took the "styles of beer" poster and pasted a bunch of beer glasses over top of the general styles.

Look, I know that there are probably a bazillion opinions about which glass should be used for which beer, but this is a start. I am looking for basic feedback if anything is waaaaay off or totally missing......

At the end of the day, I will drink ANY beer out of ANY glass, but as I become more of a "snob" I want to try and hone my beer senses! Lets hear it. Please be kind :)

Beer Poster With Glasses.jpg

I am a very visual guy and needed some kind of reference for what kind of glass should be used for which kind of beer. Disclamer - this is a total hack job! I took the "styles of beer" poster and pasted a bunch of beer glasses over top of the general styles.

Look, I know that there are probably a bazillion opinions about which glass should be used for which beer, but this is a start. I am looking for basic feedback if anything is waaaaay off or totally missing......

At the end of the day, I will drink ANY beer out of ANY glass, but as I become more of a "snob" I want to try and hone my beer senses! Lets hear it. Please be kind :)

I'm looking at it on a 46" TV and it's to small to read/see from 8' away. HMmmm wonder if it would be readable on a 16" monitor from12"?

From the ones I can see it looks pretty accurate. The only thing I see (it's small so can't tell) but it looks like you're using the same glass for weissbier as the pilsner. You could use the same glass, but if you're being picky...my hefe glasses have more curve than a pils glass. Really though, I don't worry about the glass I'm using too much, unless I'm taste-testing or serving a meal.

For some reason the picture is very fuzzy on my iPod, but it seems that you have a mug shaker glass for most styles. Personally I won't use those ever. They do nothing positive for the beer.

I know the file is hard to see all at once, there is a lot to look at. You cant see it all at once even in its original format. you have to basically zoom in and scroll around.

The mug glass is supposed to represent a "Stein" or mug. I also found in the (quick) research that I did, many beer styles have more than one recommended drinking glass.

I dont know how to make this version with the glasses that I hacked together show up that big. The file on my computer is the high res one like this larger you linked to...

I don't get down with the "supposed to drink this in this" stuff. Basic Brewing Radio did an experiment along with BYO on glassware that was very informative and revealing. Think it was 2007.

I dont really care much either, but if I am talking with some beer pros I dont want to sound like a total idiot! 99% of the time when at home I drink out of a pint glass.

Back