Best use of 3oz of nugget?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SwampassJ

Reaction score
I haven't used it for flavor or aroma additions and I was just wondering what the best use of the 3 oz would be. Should I hop burst for the last 20? Or should I do a 60, 15, flameout addition? I'm thinking of using it Edworts Haus Pale ale's grain bill since everyone loves that one, or should I beef it up and shoot for something closer to an IPA? I saw that it was similar to chinook but I don't see an Arrogant Bastard clone as a summer day beer in the pool.

I've only had nugget im maybe two craft beers but they where mixed in with others so I don't know the exact flavor it will give me.

I think that would be an interesting experiment to use all nugget, that way you can get a sense of the bittering presence as well as aroma aspects of this hop. It seems to be interchangeable with Chinook, Galena, Columbus and Northern Brewer. Let us know how it goes!

I really dig nugget hops.

I make an american amber ale (amber nugget ale)with almost exclusively nugget. It's in the pulldown under my name if you wanna check it out. It's not hopbursted though. 60,20,10,0 additions. I think there are 7 oz total (6 nugget, 1 centennial) for 11 gal recipe, so your 3 oz should be a good amount for a 5 gal batch. I have never tried hop bursting, but I don't see how you could go wrong w/ nugget in that manner.

I have pretty much made that grain bill my "house amber" while switching up the hops. This last batch of it, I used nugget for the bittering addition and a Cascade and Willamette combo for the rest using cascades grown by my uncle. It turned out very nice too, although it's still too early to tell which I liked more.

I will tell you this... my next batch is gonna be a rye ipa with nugget and challenger hops.

Anyway- report back with whatever you do, as I am interested!:mug:

So how does this sound?

.5oz Nugget @ 20 (13.5 IBU)
.5oz Nugget @ 15 (11 IBU)
.5oz Nugget @ 10 (8.1 IBU)
.5oz Nugget @ 5 (4.4 IBU)
.5oz Nugget @ 0 (0 IBU)
.5oz Nugget @ Dryhop

Gives an IBU total of 37 with a bitterness ratio of .623

Latest posts

Back