beer smith

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JasonToews

Reaction score
Im trying to figure out this program but am having trouble in finding out how much water to mash with and sparge. When i click classic brew sheet with my recipe it says "sparge with 7.16 gallons of water, I don't think this is right. Im following the guinness clone all grain recipe i found on here. I see the recipe says mash with 3.75 gallons of water and sparge with 2.50 gallons of water(x2). Im just trying to have a better understanding of this program. Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Jason

Ahhh i figured it out, no I didn't add to the program that its a single infusion. Thanks though Liverd69

It says

Mash In: Add 3.75 Gal of water at 170.5F
Mash Out: Add 1.50 Gal of water at 196.6F (hold mash at 168F for 10 min)
Sparge with 2.49 Gal at 168.0F
Add water to achieve boil volume of 6.30 G

Am I adding the 1.50 Gal of water at 196.6F and the 2.49 Gallons sparge to the mash tun? sorry bout the newb questions.

If you are batch sparging I would really recommend not doing a mash out. I would pick the Single infusion,light body,no mash out option, or the medium body, no mash out.

It has been argued that the added benefits of a mash out are not worth the extra effort when just starting out. Sparging twice after draining will be quite enough.

This is my opinion from using my system, so your results may vary.
Josh

Back