when to take a sg reading

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gp125racer

Reaction score
All,

Ive had my brew in the primary (6.5gal carboy) for 10 days now.

Im still getting some airlock activity every 45 seconds or so.

When should I take my initial gravity reading? When all the airlock activity has ceased or after 14 days?

Thanks a million!
-=gp125racer=-

I assume that you have already taken and OG (original gravity) reading just before you pitched your yeast. The next reading will be your FG (final gravity), and that will determine your attenuation. One without the other does not really tell you that much.

The best way to tell if fermentation is complete would be to take three readings over three days. If the readings are the same, and not still dropping, then it is safe to say that primary fermentation is complete.

Also, airlock activity is not the best indication of when to take a reading. However, at 14 days I would say that would be a good time to start taking your three readings over the next three days.

John

if you missed taking the first reading before pitching the yeast, then you need to find out what the estimated OG reading is, if you have that info from a kit, etc. Then, your final gravity reading should be about 1/4 of that. for example, if your estimated og is 1.040, then you can expect it to be finished fermenting at around 1.010. But, this is just an estimate. If you have the time and patience, then go ahead and take the readings over three days after the airlock activity stops, as was mentioned above. (if you bottle before the fermenting is completed, then you may end up with exploding bottles--and a big mess!)

Also, if you provide the ingredients you used and yeast type, then I believe some more experienced members here can give you a good OG based on that.

More detailed info:
* Kit B3 Jim Rossi's Honey Pale Ale
* I didnt have a temp. gauge that would read below 100 so I had to guesstimeate the pitching temp. I believed it to be 80 and I got 1.033 uncorrected. Kit called for 1.048
* White Labs Yeast

Im just gonna let it sit until wednesday and then start taking the readings again :)

Thanks all!
-=gp125racer=-

And I honetly believe it was lower than that based on feel by hand. I left it in the ice bath for about an hour. At anyrate even if it were that low, what suffers other than ABV?

-=gp125racer=-

How much did you get into the primary? What size is your primary? If you are using a 6.5 gal primary and topped it up to the neck (or top of a bucket) then 1.035 makes sense for an OG.

If that was the case then it will be slighty lighter in ABV, Color and flavor, but shouldn't be to bad.

Which white labs yeast did you use? I'll try and figure out your estimated FG.

For a ball park: Averaging say 75% app. attenuation, you could get 3.5-4% abv (FG 1.008)

Im using a glass 6.5 gallon carboy, and it full just over 3/4 of the way.

White labs English Ale yeast :)

I appreciate the feedback, I think I used to much "top off" water.

Thanks again,
-=gp125racer=-

Back