Is vitamin C a problem?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zppz

Reaction score
I came across some apple juice at a really cheap price, so I thought it would be a good chance to try my hand at making cider.
Just now looking around on the net though, I read that most store bought juices are likely to contain stabilizers which will ruin the fermenting process. The ingredients of the juice I have reads:

Pressed apple juice (99.9%), Vitamin (C)

and the nutritional content section lists the vitamin C level as 40mg/100ml.
A quick google didn't turn up any mention of vitamin C itself being a stabilizer - interestingly I saw more discussion of stabilizing the vitamin C itself so this ended up confusing me more.
I'm sure somebody here will know if this juice is worthwhile or not.... ?

Should be just fine. I've fermented juice with added ascorbic acid (vitamin C) & had no problems whatsoever, several on this site have.. It's the stuff like sorbate that you have to watch out for. Good luck, GF.

to gratus you listen, help you - he will.

good luck finding any brands other than martinellis or "boutique" brands (and even some of those have it, especialy the unfiltered types) without the vitamin C in it.

the vitamin C is added for two reasons - first - vitamin C acts as a color stabilizer -the juice stays "pretty" looking on the supermarket shelf under the lights.

second, it's good for the kiddies.

it won't effect your brew at all.

Treetop brand is good, Santa cruz is good, Knudsen is good, safeway select is good, martinellis is great, Costco's Kirkland is good - (there are may others -just always read the label before you buy) for apple juice concentrates (for boosting gravity, priming, OR recontituting and using as your juice) I've used both Senca and safeway select brand -both are good for brewing IMHO.

Thanks folks, that's good to hear. Here in New Zealand we have a brand called Charlies which positions itself as the purest, and this is Charlies juice so I don't think I'll find any purer in the supermarket.
My local supermarket has a batch which is approaching its use-by date (still a month away though), and they are letting it go for US$0.84 per litre!

Back