Increased bitterness from too much carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craigweiser

Reaction score
I recently kegged an ESB and tasted it immediately while it was still carbonating and thought it tasted wonderful with great hop and malt balance. Now after carbonating a few days I think it might be alittle too carbonated. Is it my inexperienced ability to perceive off flavors or can over carbonation be perceived as increased hop bitterness?

When i made my black IPA it tasted like molasses until I carbed it. Now its awesome, carbing seems to bring out a little hidden bitterness.

When co2 dissolves into solution it becomes carbonic acid and is definitely sharp on the tongue, similar to hops. You are spot on, lower the pressure and purge the keg

edecambra said:
When co2 dissolves into solution it becomes carbonic acid and is definitely sharp on the tongue, similar to hops. You are spot on, lower the pressure and purge the keg

Awesome! That explains it. Any idea how best I can bleed out the extra co2 still in solution? Probably best to bring up the temp to room air and turn off the co2 and bleed off every so often until it's at the right carbonation?

Awesome! That explains it. Any idea how best I can bleed out the extra co2 still in solution? Probably best to bring up the temp to room air and turn off the co2 and bleed off every so often until it's at the right carbonation?

Even if it's not overcarbed, CO2 can give it an acidic bitterness early on. It usually fades out after a few days in my experience.

If it is overcarbed, just disconnect the CO2 and purge some or all of the headspace. After a few hours, CO2 will come out of solution and equalize headspace pressure again. Sample it and see if it's where you want it. If it's still too high, purge again and repeat. Once you like, reconnect the gas at a lower serving pressure. I wouldn't worry about bringing the temp up for this.

Disconnected co2. Purged keg. rested 24 hours. No more co2 escaping with purge. Still over carbonated. What's wrong with this picture?

Disconnected co2. Purged keg. rested 24 hours. No more co2 escaping with purge. Still over carbonated. What's wrong with this picture?

It sometimes takes a while for overcarbed beer to be right. Keep doing it, and it'll get better. It works faster if the beer is warm, since cold beer "holds" onto co2 better. It should be good in a few more days or so.

Back