First Brew Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billk911

Reaction score
I am in the middle of my first brew (English Brown Ale). It has been in the fermenter 6 days and am going to keep it in for 2 more weeks. I am then going to put in bottles at room temp for 3 weeks. After that is it ok to put all of the bottles in the refrigerator or do I keep them out and put bottles in there before I drink them? For example say i am going to have 4 beers one night, do I put four in the night before?

From what little I know about brewing, I would put 1 in the fridge for 24 hours, then test the carbonation. If it is properly carbonated, then put the rest in the fridge. Keeping the bottles cold for extended periods of time (say, 1 week) will help the yeast flocculate out of solution - giving you cleaner beer. This is called cold conditioning. But, I would test one bottle's carbonation (at refrigerated temp) first.

That's what I do, but, as my sig says, I have completed only 3 brews, so maybe one of the experts here can give you a better answer.

How much room do you have in the fridge? I do not have a dedicated beer firdge. I designate one shelf in the fridge that I occupy with my stuff, so I plan accordingly. That said, cold conditioning can improve a beer. And there are some beers that do not benefit from being cold. Lawnmower beer = yes, big belgian = no. Cool yes, cold no.

The longer you can keep those beers chilled, the clearer they will eventually become.

Long term chilling will get those beers past the chill-haze phase and make them clear up better.

Now...a lot depends on the beer itself. If it's a highly hopped beer (like and IPA) or something with a high gravity (like a Russian Imperial Stout), then they will improve in taste with extended storage at room temperature.

As for chilling and serving...give those beers a good 48 hours in the fridge before serving. That will be enough time for any remaining yeast to drop out of suspension and give you a cleaner tasting beer.

This of course AFTER they have conditioned for the 3 week rule. You are gonna looooove your brew man. Its gonna be great!
-Me

Back