4th day in airlock only releasing every 18-20 seconds?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ky-Ale

Reaction score
4th day in and the airlock is only releasing gas every 18-20 seconds? I didn't follow the instructions on the back of my ale yeast packet i think it was muntons it wanted me to suspend the yeast in water and then pitch it, my friends dad told me to just toss it in the fermenting bucket and it wouldn't make a difference i pitched it at about 80 degrees Fahrenheit. I'm just making a simple extract brew its a British ale, i used lots of grain in this recipe. Is enough fermenting happening, it seems like my last batch (this is only my 2nd try at homebrewing) was releasing gas much more frequently and it had far less grain. So is if enough happening in that bucket or did i mess it up?

I'll be the first one to tell you...ask your hydrometer. What was your OG? Wait until a week or so goes by, then take another SG reading.

Sounds fine. Airlock activity (bubbling) isn't a reliable sign of fermentation progress. I've had beers show NO bubbling, but ferment fine. I've had others bubble for 4 weeks. Each fermentation is different, and each yeast strain is different. If you pitched your yeast at 80 degrees (about 10-15 degrees too hot), fermentation probably happened very rapidly.

The only sure way to know is to check the SG with a hydrometer. I"d let it sit at least 10 days to 2 weeks, so the yeast can clean up some of the off-flavors from such a hot ferment. Even after fermentation is basically over, the yeast are still working. They finish up the last bit of fermentation, and then begin to digest their own waste products, giving you a better tasting "cleaner" tasting beer.

I'd leave it alone for a total of two weeks, then check the SG. If you're really worried about it now, though, you can check the SG if you want to.

My brews blow off in like 24 hours, after 48 hours they are practically dead in the airlock... so, it happens. Yeast love sugar, and given the proper environment they work fast.

gotta agree with my limited experience so far...

I'm on my fourth batch, the first i used TWO packets of dry yeast for a brown ale and it bubbled fast and furious for four days--and y beer wound up with some off flavors.

in two and three I used a smack pack and it was vigorous for about 24 hours total and then practically dead...both beers were much cleaner tasting...my fourth, bier de garde with a smack pak did the same thing, started strong and fizzled fast. i'm four days in and just performed my first dump of yeast...I'll dump again sunday.

My brews blow off in like 24 hours, after 48 hours they are practically dead in the airlock... so, it happens. Yeast love sugar, and given the proper environment they work fast.

Why, at that rate, you're releasing 2 moles of CO2 an hour. :mug:

No, as others have said, the hydrometer is the best bet. After fermentation is complete, there is and excess of CO2 in solution that must dissipate, as there can only be about 0.88 volumes of CO2 in solution (at 68F). The excess of that will be released into the air through the airlock.

Back