90- minute IPA clone ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gnome

Reaction score
Ok ,I haven't got a big enough pot for all grain, but I'am building up for it. Mean time I 'am attempting an extract with grain version of Dogfish Head's 90 min. IPA. The recipes out of BYO's best of 150 classic clone. As fallows
(5 gal. all-grain)
Ingredients
16.5 lbs(7.5 kg) Pilsner malt
1.66 lbs(0.75 kg) amber malt
16 AAU Amarillo hops (90-0 mins)
(2.0 oz/57g of 8.0% alpha acids)
8.0 AAU Simcoe hops (90-0 mins)
(0.62 oz/17g of 13% alpha acids)
8.0 AAU Warrior hops (90-0 mins)
(o.53 oz/15g of 15% alpha acids)
1oz (28g) Amarillo hops (dry hops)
0.5 oz (14g) Simcoe hops (dry hops)
0.5 oz (14g) Warrior hops (dry hops)
1 tsp Irish moss (15 mins)
Wyeast 1099 (Whitbread) yeast
0.75 cups corn sugar ( for priming)

Step by Step
Mash in at 122'F (50'C). Then raise the temperature to 149'F (65'C) until conversion is complete. Mash out to 170'F (77'C). Boil the wort for 105 minutes. Starting with 90 minutes left in the boil, begin slowly and evenly adding hops to the kettle.(This works out to a little over 0.25 oz (7g) of hops every 7.5 minutes). Start fermentation at 71'F (22'C) and let raise to 74'F (23'C). Dry hop in secondary at 71'F (22'C) for 3-5 days, then cool to 32'F (0'C).

Extract with grains version:
Replace Pilsner malt with 8.0 lbs (3.6 kg) dried malt extract and 1.75 lbs (0.79 kg) of Pilsner malt. Steep crushed grains in 1.1 gal.(4 L) of water at 150'F (66'C) for 45 minutes. Fallow the remaining instructions in the all-grain recipe.

So if doing the Extract with grain I would replace the Pilsner malt with the 8.0 lbs dried malt extract (Pilsner ?) and 1.75 lbs of Pilsner malt, but still use the 1.66 lbs of amber malt? Also should I add more water than the 1.1 gallons for the boil? At the time of mash out with 170'F (4 gal.?) For 105 min. Then should I wait till closer to the end of the boil to add the dried malt extract to save from carmelization?

Gnome said:
So if doing the Extract with grain I would replace the Pilsner malt with the 8.0 lbs dried malt extract (Pilsner ?) and 1.75 lbs of Pilsner malt, but still use the 1.66 lbs of amber malt?
Yes.

Also should I add more water than the 1.1 gallons for the boil? At the time of mash out with 170'F (4 gal.?) For 105 min. Then should I wait till closer to the end of the boil to add the dried malt extract to save from carmelization?
I'd add as much water as you can comfortably boil; since they don't adjust the hop schedule for the extract/grain version, it's almost like they expect you to do a full boil (which is odd) -- otherwise the hop utilization would be off.

For the same reason, I wouldn't do a late extract addition with all of the extract

If you are doing a partial boil, your best bet might be to figure out how much extract you need to add in the beginning to match the AG recipe's boil gravity (depends on your boil volume), then do a late extract addition with the rest. This would keep your hop utilization close to the AG recipe.

Thanks for The advice. As soon as I can get a couple of kettles, burnner and a mash/tun it's AG time. Until then I'll fudge recipes.

Back