Secondary Fermentation ????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tdbc2011

Reaction score
I brewed a black rye IPA, all grain, on 12-1 with a SG of 1.077. I used pacman yeast and kept the temps around 65 degrees for the time that is was in the primary fermenter (until 12-20). Which was 19 days. Transferred to a carboy and the gravity at racking was 1.009. Now today, on January 11, (three weeks in the secondary) I noticed foam in the carboy. The temp has risen to 68 degrees over the past two days where it had been around 60-62 for the past three weeks. This is my 10th ag batch and I have brewed about 50 total. I have never seen this happen. There was no foam at the first of the week. What could be the problem? I am very careful with sanitation but I realize that anything can happen.

039.jpg

I wouldn't assume that there's a "problem." Could just be off gassing from temp change. I wouldn't worry any at this point.

the warmer it gets the more CO2 comes out of solution, no worries.

Yes, gas expands when warm. That's why we tell folks not to equate fermentation with airlock bubbling...because sometimes things bubble PURELY for atmospheric and barometric reasons......If you think of an airlock purely as a vent and not a gauge or fermentation, then you take things like this with a grain of salt.

Revvy said:
Yes, gas expands when warm. That's why we tell folks not to equate fermentation with airlock bubbling...because sometimes things bubble PURELY for atmospheric and barometric reasons......If you think of an airlock purely as a vent and not a gauge or fermentation, then you take things like this with a grain of salt.

Thanks. The temp will decrease over the next few days and hopefully that will let me know that it's not an infection.

Back