Dry Hop Mania - Did I overdo it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

calimainer

Reaction score
I'm making a hoptimum clone right now that's ready for dry hopping.
I made it over my Thanksgiving break in hopes it will be ready to bottle when I finish finals at school and then it should be carbed before I leave again for school.
It started out a 1.100 and it's around 1.025 (My dad is attempting to take readings for me over the phone)

So here is the issue I need help with:
I'm having him make a hop tea with 5-6 oz of (Amarillo, Falconer's Flight, Simcoe,, ?) for 15 minutes, cooling that, adding 2 oz Falconer's to the hop bag, and tossing the liquid and hop bag into the primary until I get home in 6 days.
This beer is intended to be a massive IIPA but I'm worried that I'm putting too much in for dry hopping. Will this impart too much of a grassy taste even in 6 days and could this much addition of flavoring and aroma overpower the +100 IBU I've put into this beer?
Should I take the hops out early or just let it ride?

The only time I ever got over-powering grassy flavors was when I made hop tea as you described, but that was with only 2oz of Amarillo. I would be wary of what you are suggesting, and just dry hop with the 5-6oz using traditional techniques.

Yea, just do a massive dry hop. No advantage to hop tea- alcohol is going to do a much better job of extracting oils than water is.

Back