Gushers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C-Rider

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Brewed an IPA clone back on Nov. 11th
Bottled it on Dec. 1st.
Chilled around Dec. 22nd
Opened one on Xmas Day. Perfect.
A few days later and continuing until today (I have about 3 left) each one is a gusher. There were 16 bottles total only the 1st didn't gush.
What's w/this? Infection slow to develop?

did any taste infected? how well was the bottling sugar mixed in? how well did you chill the bottles before trying? i've had gushers on bottles that weren't chilled for more than a few hours before, but once they're chilled well and the co2 is dissolved (4-5 days), no more gush.

did any taste infected? how well was the bottling sugar mixed in? how well did you chill the bottles before trying? i've had gushers on bottles that weren't chilled for more than a few hours before, but once they're chilled well and the co2 is dissolved (4-5 days), no more gush.

I'm finding a touch of a sour taste that wasn't there the first bottle. All didn't go into the chiller at the same time, maybe 4 or 5 at a time. None were opended w/out being chilled a few days. The ones left well over a week. Had a gusher last night. Sugar must have been well mixed, only had about 15 bottles and sofar all are the same but the first.

Did you notice any cloudiness on the suface before you bottled? I would check you next batch for the same problem of gushers and if so it could be something from your bottleing process then if there is a pattern.Unless you misjudged your priming sugar. If so i would soak your stuff in PBW or something that gets junk out of tight spots.LIke a bottlewand spring. Or a bucket valve/spigot.
Thats unfortunate this happend, ive racked on what i thought were infections, i made a saison which had some skin on i racked underneath, ive had them for months,and drank half, just the other day i opened one after a 3 day chill and it had a slow rising gush but not an erupter, it also seemd really dry and thin, somewhat tasteless so im thinking i need to chill them or pitch them if the rest tastes like flavorless dry beer. I guess i should have refrigerated them when they were tasting ok a while ago,although it remided me of a jolly pumpkin esb or something a little.

Did you notice any cloudiness on the suface before you bottled? I would check you next batch for the same problem of gushers and if so it could be something from your bottleing process then if there is a pattern.Unless you misjudged your priming sugar. If so i would soak your stuff in PBW or something that gets junk out of tight spots.LIke a bottlewand spring. Or a bucket valve/spigot.
Thats unfortunate this happend, ive racked on what i thought were infections, i made a saison which had some skin on i racked underneath, ive had them for months,and drank half, just the other day i opened one after a 3 day chill and it had a slow rising gush but not an erupter, it also seemd really dry and thin, somewhat tasteless so im thinking i need to chill them or pitch them if the rest tastes like flavorless dry beer. I guess i should have refrigerated them when they were tasting ok a while ago,although it remided me of a jolly pumpkin esb or something a little.

Ya know I can't think that far back. LOL Two brews since that and they are ok.

I had a gusher in one batch. I figured I did something wrong with priming. Suddenly multiple batches had gushers and one batch was bottle bomber.

So, after much confusion I cleaned and cleaned and cleaned my brewing area, made a bleach solution and scrubbed walls and floors. This fixed the problem.

I think in hindsight it might have been the bottling bucket spigot or grain dust becuase I used grind my grain in the same room.

All better now.

I had a gusher in one batch. I figured I did something wrong with priming. Suddenly multiple batches had gushers and one batch was bottle bomber.

So, after much confusion I cleaned and cleaned and cleaned my brewing area, made a bleach solution and scrubbed walls and floors. This fixed the problem.

I think in hindsight it might have been the bottling bucket spigot or grain dust becuase I used grind my grain in the same room.

All better now.

I had two bad, sour, batches in a row. Then someone here had me take the bottling spigot out after each event and clean it really well. Been good since then except for these gushers.

Back