Who's smoking meat this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
man I cant wait to build myself a storage shack on the deck for my bradly.... damn thing does NOT like the cold one bit. Atleast winter is almost done here.. got some meat in the freezer waiting....

a lot of good lookin food on here.. jebus

My son turns 9 today. On Saturday we will have 25ppl here. I am smoking two Boston butts, a whole brisket that I will turn the point into burnt ends, a 'quick' pastrami and 4 dozen wings on 2 WSMs. Over the last 2 months I've put up 2 Pale Ales, a Red Rye IPA and a Chocolate Peanut Butter Porter for the event.
Should make for a decent day of lively debauchery.

Wsm on clearance at my home depot for 179. Should have jumped on it, but I love my microwave. Im getting lazy, looking out window is too much. I need to get a wireless thermometer. Smoked a ham and pork loin last night. Only sugar on ham and salt and sugar on pork. Ruined pork loin by taking it to 160. I will alice it thin and lunch meat it anyways. I think this will be my new lunch meat method.

View attachment 1489683708356.jpg

View attachment 1489683727127.jpg

View attachment 1489683738627.jpg

A couple of pictures from a few weeks ago.

aovpu8.jpg

2mcojl.jpg
[/IMG]

2i771hh.jpg

^damn that looks awesome!

Thanks! Post some "after" pictures!

had a happy accident tonight. controller shot up from 220 to 275 so i ended up not foiling the ribs which i always do (3-2-1 style). I've always heard the purists say foil ruins the bark and now i understand why - these are the best spares i've ever cook. awesome crispy bark on the bottom and cartelized sauce on top. unbelievable with the perfect "bite through" texture which i usually have a very hard time nailing.

bend test -
9iyPsyT.jpg

and the sliced bones -
fae6NOP.jpg

Dear BBQ Brethren,

Here is a great way to conserve [lump] charcoal. I dump the tail end of a bag of charcoal (or scrapings from smoker fire box) into these and shake them over my garbage bin or compost pit. The dust & tiny pieces fall through and the usable stuff is left in the baskets. I nest the large screen basket inside the small screen basket to divide the chunky chunks from the little pieces.

can't remember where i got the small screen basket but here is a link to the large screen:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000QGLB7Y/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

MA7Mjnz.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Lifts the smoke to the airstream coming from the nearby lake and over our roof. Without it most of the smoke stays in the back yard smelling up the house. Also helps to create a draft inside the smoker so it won't suffocate itself so easily. It's a bit of a princess demanding constant attention and adjusting the airvent so it smokes but doesn't burn or go out. Works surprisingly well. It's just a slip-on so when not in use I lift it off.

20170401_194055e1c8c.jpg

Ain't bad.

I've been on a huge pastrami kick lately. Smoking my 3rd in 6 weeks tomorrow. I HIGHLY recommend getting a meat slicer. Even a cheap one will get you nice deli-thin slices, and I was amazed at what a difference that made in the texture of sandwich meat.

Pastrami tomorrow; cold-smoking cheese right now. I do a few big batches per year.

I've been on a huge pastrami kick lately. Smoking my 3rd in 6 weeks tomorrow. I HIGHLY recommend getting a meat slicer. Even a cheap one will get you nice deli-thin slices, and I was amazed at what a difference that made in the texture of sandwich meat.

Pastrami tomorrow; cold-smoking cheese right now. I do a few big batches per year.

I'm doing an eye of round pastrami tomorrow. Thinking I will smoke for 3 hours and finish in the oven. What internal temp do you try to hit to finish? I was thinking 140? I do bacon to 150.

I smoke for 5-8 hours and try not to exceed 165. Then I finish it either with a few hours of steaming or 24 hrs of sous vide at 150F. However, I am using brisket, which is rich and fatty. Eye of round is pretty lean as I recall... 140 might be a good call.

I have found that the meat slicer conceals many sins. I honestly can't really tell how I've done the finishing cooking step if the finished product is a pile of deli-thin slices.

I'm doing an eye of round pastrami tomorrow. Thinking I will smoke for 3 hours and finish in the oven. What internal temp do you try to hit to finish? I was thinking 140? I do bacon to 150.

A while back i posted pics of a round roast i did. I have seen "eye" of rou nd posted before and have asked for comparisons, but to no avail. I assume different parts of country label differently, but either way if its a round and looks lean it should be cooked between 135 to 145 max, i would think, and sliced thin. My 2c.

Ps, freezer for a little while or let sit overnight before slicing thin to avoid real mess and get better slices, ymmv claro que si.

A while back i posted pics of a round roast i did. I have seen "eye" of rou nd posted before and have asked for comparisons, but to no avail. I assume different parts of country label differently, but either way if its a round and looks lean it should be cooked between 135 to 145 max, i would think, and sliced thin. My 2c.

Ps, freezer for a little while or let sit overnight before slicing thin to avoid real mess and get better slices, ymmv claro que si.

Eye of round is cylindrical (ish). Bottom and top round are usually cut into squarish chunks. Bottom round is particularly brick looking. All of it together would be "round" but I think it's usually separated. Eye is very lean and fine grained. I'll aim for 135. Thanks!

^im gonna have to try that sous vide corn

Here's the cilantro lime butter recipe: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/roasted-corn-on-the-cob-with-cilantro-lime-butter-recipe

For sous vide corn, just bag it and cook @ 183 deg F for 1 hour.

Normally when cooking sous vide, I will put the seasoning in the bag. In this case, I highly recommend you cook the corn un-seasoned (or perhaps with a LITTLE bit of salt/butter), but reserve the bulk of the seasoning to apply when it comes out of the bag.

Purchased a new smoker this week! A Green Mountain Grill - Daniel Boone
I cooked bacon on it this morning and it was wonderful. We all agreed doing it in the oven was messy and was only as half as good as doing it on the smoker.

Right now I have a slab of ribs going at 220 with a fruit wood blend. I am doing the 3-1-1 method. Will get more pics of the end results!

20170409_131833_zpsbqsfm2i7.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

20170409_132020_zpsdjmaj09b.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Those look really good!
Mind if I ask how you cured your pork belly? mine is usually cured at about 10ish days,
Do you bump the temp to 150 degrees at all or just cold smoke it for 13hrs?
I have cold smoked for 2 hrs then raised the temp slowly up to 150 just to kill off any bugs that mite have survived the curing process.

Purchased a new smoker this week! A Green Mountain Grill - Daniel Boone
I cooked bacon on it this morning and it was wonderful.

Damn this is the one I've been eyeing up for when my current propane one kicks the bucket. Out of curiosity did you get the Wifi enabled one and based on your review it seems you are liking it? :mug:

Those look really good!
Mind if I ask how you cured your pork belly? mine is usually cured at about 10ish days,
Do you bump the temp to 150 degrees at all or just cold smoke it for 13hrs?
I have cold smoked for 2 hrs then raised the temp slowly up to 150 just to kill off any bugs that mite have survived the curing process.

Just did a dry rub cure of cure#1, salt and sugar for 21 days. Did all cold smoke, 12 hours then rest for 8 hrs then smoke again for 6 hours. Next time, I just might do 12 hrs. It's a tad too much for me at 18 hrs.

Just did a dry rub cure of cure#1, salt and sugar for 21 days. Did all cold smoke, 12 hours then rest for 8 hrs then smoke again for 6 hours. Next time, I just might do 12 hrs. It's a tad too much for me at 18 hrs.

So your final internal temp is pretty low? How do we all feel about not cooking it to at least 150?

I guess as long as you cook it before eating?

Damn this is the one I've been eyeing up for when my current propane one kicks the bucket. Out of curiosity did you get the Wifi enabled one and based on your review it seems you are liking it? :mug:

I did not get the WiFi one. I just did not see the value in it. If I do a long smoke like a pork butt it would be over night and right outside the back door. If I had a case where I would frequently be leaving the house during a smoke then maybe I could see the cost.

I found it to be a great smoker with excellent taste. I myself do not like the HEAVY smoke flavors and if you are looking for those you would need to supplement the smoke with more. Also the people who say you can not get a smoke ring from a pellet smoker are full of it and have no first hand experience. Both the heat and the smoke come from pellets... Pellets are made 100% from wood.

I did a lot of shopping before settling on this brand. From customer service to the quality. It is all top notch.

Alright y'all. I need your help. I just got my first smoker. Ender up buying an MES. This Sunday I'm planning on smoking about 7.5lbs of pork shoulder for my inaugural smoke. Can anyone tell me how long it should take to smoke if the smoker is right around 235-240 (assuming this is the right temp). Planning on pulling the pork so shooting for 205. Also planning on doing a Texas crutch if need be. And, let's say it needs to cook for 8 hours. Should I only keep it in smoke for the first 4 and then just do heat/residual smoke for the remainder? I read somewhere that I shouldnt have it on direct smoke for the whole time

Add wood for smoking during the first hour, especially when the meat is cold. I usually add a handful of chunks right when I add the meat, and a handful after 30 minutes ish. I don't think wood after that is useful. I use large chunks, no need for the little chips, and no need for soaking in water.

I pull between 200 and 205. Lower than that and it won't pull off the shoulder blade the way you want. So temp is good.

Takes me, in my WSM, about 10 hours. I smoke between 225 and 250.

I know you didn't ask, but...

Pork's cheap. I usually do 4 boston butts (bone in). Tangy sauce added, then I portion it all in Foodsaver bags. Freeze.

I shred in the mixer with the dough hook. So much easier than forks.

Back