Time for a Nut Brown...with maple sugar!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgourd

Reaction score
Never brewed a nut brown before. Wife wants one. I have some maple sugar on hand that I'd like to throw in mainly for flavor and a little sweetness (very little). First, when/where should it be added (I keg)? Second, what do you think of the recipe (based off of Lil'Sparky's recipe):

Code:
Nut Brown Ale
-------------
Batch Size: 5.50 gal (7.76 gal preboil)
Estimated OG: 1.055 SG
Estimated FG: 1.014 SG
Estimated IBUs: 22 (Tinseth)
Estimated Color: 16 SRM
Brewhouse Efficiency: 73%
Boil Time: 90 minutes

Grains:
9.00# Pale Malt (2-Row) US (76.60%)
1.00# Caramel/Crystal 60L (8.51%)
1.00# Flaked oats (8.51%)
0.50# Victory Malt (4.26%)
0.25# Chocolate Malt (2.13%)

Hops:
1.00 oz Fuggle (US) (5.1%) @60 min
1.00 oz Willamette (4.8%) @15 min

Yeast:
White Labs WLP007 (English Ale) (English Ale)

Mash/Sparge Schedule:
Single Infusion, 154F; Batch Sparge

Your recipe looks like your typical brown ale :mug: I love my ales hoppy so I used different hops with higher AA, but yours sounds good to me.

as far as the maple sugar goes it depends on what you are aiming for. Assuming you want a maple hint I'd throw it in at flame out. Otherwise you can toss it into the secondary for a maple blast. Throwing it in at flame out will also allow the maple sugars to be fermented. Throwing it into the seondary will also cause the sugars to be fermented, but not as much as in primary.

Your recipe looks like your typical brown ale :mug: I love my ales hoppy so I used different hops with higher AA, but yours sounds good to me.

as far as the maple sugar goes it depends on what you are aiming for. Assuming you want a maple hint I'd throw it in at flame out. Otherwise you can toss it into the secondary for a maple blast. Throwing it in at flame out will also allow the maple sugars to be fermented. Throwing it into the seondary will also cause the sugars to be fermented, but not as much as in primary.

What kind of hops? Are we talking Magnum, Simcoe, et al?

Back