Can you Brew It recipe for Rogue Shakespeare Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I looked it up. The have a huge beer selection. I wish they were closer to Chicago. I'm going to have to add it to my Michigan brewery roadtrip. It said it was called Imperial Creme Brulee Java Stout. Sounds so good. You think it is better than Southern Tier? Man oh man!
The only thing that would get me more excited would be to find out that Founders was making a Creme Brulee Breakfast Stout.
Thanks for the info, Man!

If you are ever in Michigan for the world expos of beer in frankenmuth or the fall beerfest in Detroit, they serve it there. At the expos they serve it at about 50 degrees from a cask and oh man, its like a life changing experience. Since then I have run all my stouts and porters thru a sparkler to try for that creamy effect. Not quite casked but it has a magical effect

What the hell is a sparkler? Is that some new equipment I'm going to have to buy? Just say the word. I can convince her. "Honey, the brewing process cannot move forward without a sparkler." More equipment!

What the hell is a sparkler? Is that some new equipment I'm going to have to buy? Just say the word. I can convince her. "Honey, the brewing process cannot move forward without a sparkler." More equipment!

a sparkler is a little piece of plastic that goes on the end of a beer engine's spout. Tiny thing, only costs a couple dollars at most. OF course, to USE the sparkler, you must have the beer engine... that is what SWMBO needs to be convinced of :D

a sparkler is a little piece of plastic that goes on the end of a beer engine's spout. Tiny thing, only costs a couple dollars at most. OF course, to USE the sparkler, you must have the beer engine... that is what SWMBO needs to be convinced of :D

Excellent!

im working on something now with some tooling that will produce (at hopefully the same cost as a standard faucet) a faucet with an insertable restrictor plate (sparkler) or a tapped end for a screw on attachment...we can all cheat the system and save the 250.00 on a mixed gas setup.

im working on something now with some tooling that will produce (at hopefully the same cost as a standard faucet) a faucet with an insertable restrictor plate (sparkler) or a tapped end for a screw on attachment...we can all cheat the system and save the 250.00 on a mixed gas setup.

Sounds about right to me.

Just tried a 4.5 week sample of the Shakespeare. It is truly amazing.-

This brew is ready to drink and the best part is, it can only get better. I just moved it to the basement (~60-62F) to condition some more while it is still cold here in Northern VA.

I am planning on having one a week but then again we can always bend the rules ;)

PS: Never thought the cascade would come through so clean in a stout, it is overall a great recipe. A great stout, enjoyed it while smoking my Dr Grabow in the backyard with my roommate. Perfect.-

also, you can ge a sparklers attachment for your conventional beer faucet...its called a stout tip or stout attachment or something. It will do the job.
Or, there is a site called ritebrew.com that is selling stout faucets for 35.00 the only advantage to using mixed gas that ive seen is that ot is more efficient to push the beer thrum. Otherwise you have to turn up the pressure on the co2 a bit to get the same effect...still cheaper than buying the mixed gas setup...or the gas itself

Tried one more Shake Stout, I have this to say: It was good enough to begin with and it only got much, much better! The cascades backed off a bit and now its all about the malt balance, really good chocolaty stuff.

Happy brewing to ya all.

I'm about to brew this up but am looking for suggestions on yeast. I've got slurry from wyeast 1469 west Yorkshire in the fridge in a pitchable amount. Nathan stated on the rebrew show that a well attenuating English ale yeast could be substituted in place of Pacman, or rather it could be used instead, maybe not an exact replacement.

So, because I'm brewing this soon, my options are dry so5 cal ale, or this slurry of 1469. Any suggestions?

^^^ thanks for the suggestion, and I think I'm going to give it a shot and keep it cool, probably 65-66 for the first 3 days or so and then let it rip to room temp to finish up and mop up any diacetyl...unless I get an overwhelming reason not to.

Edited to add: completely forgot about using Nottingham at 62f or so. Always found that yeast to be super clean at lower temps and malt forward. Decisions decisions.....

Edited again to add: brewed this a few weeks ago, missed mash temp (hit 144) and figured I'd better use the 1469 slurry and hope it doesn't attenuate too far, which as of today it looks like it didn't. Hydro showed 1.015 FG and it tastes good for hot flat stout. We'll see how this one turns out after awhile in the keg once it gets there. This is my second time brewing this recipe and I've mucked something up on each go at it.... Next time I'm using pacman (if I can get it).

**** update****

And because I get disappointed when people don't update on stuff they say they'll do and then actually do.. Rant off.. Well this beer was tapped today after 4 weeks or so conditioning at room temp in the keg under a blanket of co2.

While its probably not cloned, it's quite close (remembering what the real deal tasted like a few weeks ago) and I'm happy with it. I went with the slurry of 1469 and it's an awesome beer now, let alone with some time in the keg to fully carb up. Anyone thinking of brewing this recipe with a decent attenuating British ale yeast should do just that. Great refipe.

I've got an amber with pacman conditioning now, and a pumpkin spice ale with wlp002.

I'm going to rinse both and store, so both are an option. Inclined to try the pacman and wondering about mash temp. Is 148 the way to go with pacman? It won't attenuate too much? The oatmeal stout in brewing classic styles uses wlp002 and mashes at 154. If 002 attenuates less than pacman, shouldn't those temps be switched?

What are your experiences with mash temps and yeast combinations?

I'd follow the recipe to be honest, as I believe the beer finished quite low for the CYBI crew as it does for Rouge. I think the target FG is 1.015, and when I rebrew this beer later this fall/winter, I'll be mashing at 148f.

What's the water hardness supposed to be? 38 or 100? Is that residual hardness? Is there a more specific water profile to emulate?

Has anyone toasted the oats?

so how about that water hardness that's supposed to be important? not real clear in the recipe if it's 38 or 100 ...

okay, here's what i'm shooting for – it's the "black balanced" profile in bru'n water:

Ca: 60
Mg: 10
Na: 20
SO4: 47
Cl: 38
CO3: 160

thoughts?

I just brewed up the BYO clone (recipe from The Brewing Network forums) and maybe it's not a true clone, but DAAAAMN is it good.

Mine's about 48hrs into fermentation and I've already had to sample it. Used Wyeast 1318 London Ale III yeast, and it's turning out fantastic already. Clone or not, this beer is worth brewing.

Brewed this verbatim on December 3rd and pulled my first pint. It's more like a Black IPA right now, hoping that will mellow. Seems to be missing roastiness that I would expect in a stout, and the 15 min. Cascade addition is really evident.

Back