What Mash Paddle do you use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Made my own out of a piece of maple. You can customize it however you want. But I have seen oars and 9 irons used, so be creative and you will not have to by anything.

I have a 42" stainless paddle with about eleven 1" holes drilled in it for brewing 10 gallons.

IMG_7798.JPG

That Big Daddy 48" looks amazing -- I wonder how hard it would be to drill holes into it -- would that do anything to harm the metal around where I drilled holes?

Here's what I use. I use a paddle bit to cut some big holes in it. I think I picked it up at Lowes for $7. I've seen them at Academy, too.

mixing_paddles.jpg

I use a big ole SS paddle with no holes in it, and it works great. Got off CL from a retired HB'er

I mash in a 10 gal cooler and use the cheap paddle you get at the LHBS. It bends a bit too much with thick mashes though. I plan to make a maple one someday when I find reasonably priced maple.

I had a wood one and loved it -- until I found mold spores on it. It also has started to chip away against sharp parts of the keggle. Time to go stainless for me.

I have an SS one. It's pretty righteous. A lot of guys I know also use a 24" SS whisk from a restaurant supply store. No doughballs with one of those.

I currently use the cheap white plastc spoon from my LHBS. Way too flexible for stirring a mash. I keep expecting it to break on me.

Here's what I use. I use a paddle bit to cut some big holes in it. I think I picked it up at Lowes for $7. I've seen them at Academy, too.

mixing_paddles.jpg

In what section of Lowes did you find that, Sparky? It looks like a little canoe paddle. That is exactly what I've had in mind.

I bought one of those plastic ones from Midwest, a little over 2 feet long, I think. Seems to be a bit bendy, but works OK. Incidentally, this thread seems a bit much for something to stir up a glorified bowl of cereal. I suppose if I want something different, I'll probably go to a restaurant supply and look for something in stainless....

I use the one I made. I took a section of 1" stainless steel tubing, and welded on a piece of stainless flat plate, and drilled a couple of holes..... It cost me $0.00 :rockin:

I currently use the cheap white plastc spoon from my LHBS. Way too flexible for stirring a mash. I keep expecting it to break on me.

In what section of Lowes did you find that, Sparky? It looks like a little canoe paddle. That is exactly what I've had in mind.

It was where they sell turkey turkey fryers & outdoor grill stuff. It's 36" long and about 4" wide at the paddle. It's just about the perfect size. They've got them online, too, like the bayouclassicdepot.com link I posted.

I use a giant SS Whisk that I purchased from Rebel Brewer for about 12 bucks, it works awesome, breaks up all the clumps and allows you to easily pull the mash from the bottom of the tun up to the top.

Any recommendations on a stainless paddle suitable for a 10 gallon Igloo cooler? I've been using a big spoon but it's a couple inches too short, and if I space out for one second I burn the **** out of my hand trying to hit the bottom of the cooler :) My LHBS has some nice wooden paddles but I'd rather use metal if possible for ease of cleaning.

I'd guess my current spoon is 18", and I have access to a metalworking drill bit if it matters.

I use the one I made. I took a section of 1" stainless steel tubing, and welded on a piece of stainless flat plate, and drilled a couple of holes..... It cost me $0.00 :rockin:

Same here, almost. When I cut my first keggle I pounded one end of the spear flat and cut a piece out of the lid. Polished the cutout then bolted it to the flattened end of the spear. Got SS bolts/washers/nuts at Ace. Whole thing cost me about $3.00 and an hour of fun with power tools.

Any recommendations on a stainless paddle suitable for a 10 gallon Igloo cooler? I've been using a big spoon but it's a couple inches too short, and if I space out for one second I burn the **** out of my hand trying to hit the bottom of the cooler :) My LHBS has some nice wooden paddles but I'd rather use metal if possible for ease of cleaning.

I'd guess my current spoon is 18", and I have access to a metalworking drill bit if it matters.

Get the big whisk from Rebel Brewer, you will love it.

I use the 24" whisk, ordered the Rebel Brewer one, it looked thicker and sturdier than one I saw at an online restaurant store.

Back