Pay it forward: yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ketchepillar

Reaction score
I did this more by chance than deliberate action, but I decided not to use all of my WLP300 starter (didn't want to make it too easy on those yeasties). Also, I got higher than expected efficiency on my version of Edwort's Hefe, so I collected more runnings, then used some of the excess wort to get another starter going. Anybody in the Des Moines area want a free WLP300 real wort starter for their next brew? Just let me know.

Or if no one wants it, what else could I do with this? Smelling the wonderful massive blowoff from this beer, making another could be a wise choice, but I'd like something different/crazy.

if no one wants it decant the liquid and put the starter slurry into a sanitized mason jar and save for later!

First , BRAVO for thinking of others !!

I'll join that with a special one. I have some yeast that was harvested from Bell's Two Hearted that has been proven. It has a very active ferement, and I harvested off the clone I did, so I guess this is second generation.

I have washed it and have 4 pints. I'll need to keep one!

And in case you couldn't guess, I'm in Louisville KY, but as a rare stroke of luck, I will be traveling to Kansas City in two weeks.

Larry! What timing.

I'll be brewing in a matter of days, an all-Amarillo IPA that I plan to ferment with Bell's yeast. I made a starter from a few bottles of Bell's Pale Ale, but it looks a little iffy at this point (see thread here). I *think* it's gonna be okay, but if not, and you're around, I'll sure take you up on a pint or two of yours if they're still around. (I'm also in Louisville.)

I like where this thread is going. In fact, I could see having a whole forum on here devoted to yeast & other brew stuff trading. Probably would be more for the limited releases, bugs, and such, but it could be very useful. Ooooo or a haves/wants list with cross-referencing capabilities kinda like ratebeer's, but with yeast. ex. ISO wild brett culture from Brussels.

flyangler -
WOW ! what a list. I'd love to take you up on the WP400, but I think the cost of getting it would outweigh the value.. Probably can't talk SWMBO into going down from Lancaster :)

I dont have anything exotic, but I could offer a mason jar of washed Wyeast 1056 if anyone wants it. I just used one in an IPA that turned out great. I'm on the East side of Cleveland, OH.

We have our first successful yeast pass. :)

Thanks again Larry, and it was good to meet you. I'll let everyone know how the IPA turns out.

I like where this thread is going. In fact, I could see having a whole forum on here devoted to yeast & other brew stuff trading. Probably would be more for the limited releases, bugs, and such, but it could be very useful. Ooooo or a haves/wants list with cross-referencing capabilities kinda like ratebeer's, but with yeast. ex. ISO wild brett culture from Brussels.

I second that. This would be a great idea for even custom genetic yeast harvesting. Moderators; could we please put this to a vote if it hasn't been done before? Of how many people would be interested in having a area/channel solely devoted to yeast propagation/trading?

I was actually thinking about starting a thread for swapping yeast strains, but this thread works too.

So, as a matter of disclosure I will say that I've got some Wyeast 1214 sitting in my fridge right now in mason jars and could part with one or two. I'd be more inclined, if possible, to swap for some other yeast to use on my next batch. I'm in Los Angeles in case that matters.

Back