BeerSmith IPA - what do you think?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpowelle5

Reaction score
OK - this is my second attempt at an extract brew outside of purchasing an actual kitted beer.

Note: I only used ingredients I had readily available and I tried to match the style to the T.

2.00 lb Amber Dry Extract (12.5 SRM) Dry Extract 27.40 %
3.30 lb Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 45.21 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 13.70 %
1.00 oz Warrior [15.00 %] (60 min) Hops 42.8 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (25 min) Hops 10.9 IBU
1.00 oz Williamette [5.50 %] (5 min) Hops 3.1 IBU
1.00 lb Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 13.70 %
1 Pkgs SafAle American Ale (DCL Yeast #S-05) Yeast-Ale

I soaked the Crystal Malt for 20 minutes in 165 degree water, I removed the grain and then I started the boil, I added the Warrior, the LME and 1 lb of the DME 60 minutes.

At 30 minutes I added the other 1 lb of DME & 1 lb of Corn Sugar (only reason I used this is I ran out of LME/DME to hit my target OG range).

At 25 minutes I added the Cascade and at 5 minutes I added the Williamette.

Being a newbie I am not sure how this will turn out but I had to try a beer that wasn't from a kit. My first attempt is still in the secondary and was pretty much a kit beer plus some strawberry flavoring.

Please let me know what you think. Did I screw something up, any suggestions?

Thanks.

JP

Wait, I just reread your recipe. Did you add the 1lb corn sugar to the boil?

Answer #1 - SG was 1.064

Answer #2 - yes, had to add 1 lb of corn sugar to meet beersmith's style og range because I didn't have LME or DME or any other grains.

Please let me know if I messed it up.

JP

You did fine. I would wait until about 10 minutes left to add the rest of the stuff, and probably make it about half (or more) of the total malt added late, the less you add up front, the better utilization you will get.

IPAs are usually dry hopped, and you will find it lacking in aroma and some complexity without. An ounce or two of something like cascade will give you that familiar hoppy aroma that IPAs have.

Back