American Strong Ale Maltstrosity - Big Malty Stong Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bashiba

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Safale 05
Yeast Starter
No
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
No
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
None
Additional Fermentation
None
Tasting Notes
A big malt bomb, slightly smoky with lots of light fruit notes.
16lbs 2row
1lb Crystal 60
.5lb Chocolate Malt
.5lb Special B
.25lb Peated Malt
1.25lb of Light Candi Sugar

Mashed at 151 for 75min - Single Batch Sparged the rest.

3oz of Goldings(4.5%) at 60 min

Love this recipe, finishes really low in part due to the Candi Sugar and 05 is such a champ. Its big and fruity but very drinkable for something pushing 10%.

The second batch a used Crystal 90 instead of 60 and cut the chocolate in half and it came out pretty close, but I like the original recipe a little better.
Also the second batch subbed out a smaller amount of Magnums for the Goldings, just shooting for low 30 ibu's and that worked out just as well.

As anything this big a couple months of ageing makes this very good. It is definitely a sweeter beer with tons of light fruit flavors and a hint of chocolate and smoke really round it out nicely. This is quickly becoming a regular in our rotation and was the first beer I put into my new Keezer.

Good Luck to you, Can't wait to hear how it turns out. I did a 10 gallon batch this fall, I'm drinking the first 5 gallons right now, with the second five gallons ageing on wet Cabernet barrel wine chips from a local winery.

Back