True or False-Grain Crush Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

True or False

• True

• False

Results are only viewable after voting.

d_striker

Reaction score
True or false....

A grist that is crushed extremely fine with shredded husks will not leach tannins as long as pH, alkalinity, and temperature are at the appropriate levels.

Considering some breweries use hammer mills which basically powder the malt it is true.

I have to agree that this must be true. A decocotion which boils the grains will not leech tannins if the mash ph is proper so I doubt the crush would leech tannins with proper ph.

One variable that has been left out is pressure. One of the reasons tannins are more of a concern in a commercial brewery than a home brew scenerio is the weight of the grains can create enough pressure to extract tannins at much lower temperatures than the magic 180F number.

One variable that has been left out is pressure. One of the reasons tannins are more of a concern in a commercial brewery than a home brew scenerio is the weight of the grains can create enough pressure to extract tannins at much lower temperatures than the magic 180F number.

Interesting...I've never considered pressure.

So are you saying that tannins will be extracted when the grain bed is subject to pressure EVEN if pH and alkalinity are under 6.0?

This may be true, but is not a concern in homebrewing.

This may be true, but is not a concern in homebrewing.

True...I'm still interested in the theory though. His statement alludes that tannin extraction is resultant from a factor outside of pH and alkalinity which is the central question.

Back