Ferment Temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

53x11

Reaction score
I brewed a IPA this Sunday, pitched the yeast starter and then set the beer in a nice its usual spot to ferment 66-68 degrees. Woke up and the air lock was bubbling nicley. Got home from work and the temp in the room had shot up to 75. I moved it to another room and its still above 70. Is this going to create a problem
with my beer?

It could do - though you may be OK. Your yeast should have a preferred temperature range listed on the packet. Check what that says, and you'll have a better idea of the temperature you should aim for. Bear in mind that fermentation gives off heat, so the fermenter is probably a few degrees warmer than the room it's in - it may be somewhere in the high seventies. When a beer ferments warm it can get some crazy banana-flavors to it, and I'd guess your IPA would be better without them. My guess is that the temperature is probably still a little high, so if you could put it in a bucket with some iced water that would help to cool it a little.

10 to 1 you are fine, RDWHAHB. as mentioned above, fermentation can put off a lot of heat. Some people on here use the swamp cooler method to try and keep their fermentations cool. It just takes putting your carboy in some sort of tub and put a wet t-shirt over it. As the water evaporates off the t-shirt and wicks up from the tub, it helps keep your carboy cool. A small fan will bring your temp down even more if you need it. If you need to cool a lot, you can put your carboy in a cooler with some water and a couple frozen water bottles and throw some heavy blankets over the top. I used this last method for a kolsch I just did and was able to ferment at 55 with ambient temps getting up to 85.

Edit: fixed some spelling... I hate the keyboard on my laptop....

Thanks for the help! I got the temp down to 70 and everything seems to be ok. Plan on taking gravity readings the next 3 days and then move to a secondary for dry hopping. 1oz cascade and 1oz centennial. This is my first dry hopping and I am looking forward to the finished product in 5-6 weeks.

53x11 said:
1oz cascade and 1oz centennial. This is my first dry hopping and I am looking forward to the finished product in 5-6 weeks.
Excellent choice. Bet that'll be a great beer! :mug:

Back