Purple Haze clone recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndrwHock

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has a good purple haze clone. I know the ladies love the fruit beers, and it would be nice to have some on hand. It would also be a decent change from the tons of cream stout I have bottled. I've been looking around and here's what I've come up with so far for a 5 gallon batch. This is my first attempt at putting together a recipe so any help would be appreciated.

6# wheat LME

8 oz. Carapils

4 oz. Raspberry extract or puree, whatever I can find

I'm not sure what hops to use, perhaps 3 oz. Tettnang or 2 oz. Norther Brewer because I have that much left over

Wyeast 3068

Any suggestions? comments? funny anecdotes?

Thanks guys

I've never made a wheat, so I am no help on the recipe. I did just bottle a batch of some kind of stout or porter using rasberry extract though. I used about 1.25 oz, maybe 1.5 oz. for 3 gallons. I bottled half the batch straight, then added the extract. I poured it in and tasted it, and that was perfect. I am sure glad I didn't dump in any more. Four oz. for five gallons is going to be way sweet in my opinion. That stuff is really concentrated. Whatever your recipe, I would use start with two ounces of the rasberry and taste test. You can add more, but you can't take it out!

Thanks for the tip on the raspberry. Does anyone have advice on what hops to use?

I mighty start brewing early next week. I'll be brewing one of the following: this recipe, a simple hefeweizen, or some brown ale recipe I saw on a site. I know, quite different, but the guys I live with have different taste. I'd probably lean more toward the brown ale myself...

My girlfriend loved Purple Haze and she deems this recipe even better. I have to agree. Extract is easier (and what Abita uses I've been told), but I think you can really tell the difference. The color of this brew was amazing, almost a deep cranberry color.

1 lb light DME
1 lb plain light DME
3.3 lb light LME
1 oz Mt Hood (60)
1 oz fuggles (10)
Wyeast 1056, US-05, etc. Neutral ale yeast.
72 oz frozen red raspberries (make sure no sugar added)

Brew beer as usual. After a week or so squish up the raspberries in their bag, then pasteurize them (hold at 170 degF for 10 minutes or so). Add those to secondary and rack beer on top. Use blowoff tube because you'll get a pretty violent secondary fermentation from all those natural sugars.

Get yourself a nice big funnel for the raspberries, or you're going to end up with a big mess. Trust me.

I'm new at this. Can you tell me the difference between light DME and plain light DME?

Thanks!

Looks like I was sort of mindlessly copying my brew notes. Just use light DME. I happened to have a bag of Munton's and a bag of LD Carlson on hand I believe. Slightly different names for the same exact thing.

After that post we've since started kegging. When this batch is on tap SWMBO makes me pretend that this one is in perpetual carbing mode if she feels the keg is being threatened.

Here is an easy suggestion: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f70/citrus-weizen-34404/
I changed that up a bit and had a HUGE hit with all my friends. I left out the zest and I put in 2 pounds of frozen blackberries in the secondary. It was a lot more fruity than Purple Haze but was an awesome beer in the end. Also, it was a lot more alcoholic which is always a plus with good taste.

My girlfriend loved Purple Haze and she deems this recipe even better. I have to agree. Extract is easier (and what Abita uses I've been told), but I think you can really tell the difference. The color of this brew was amazing, almost a deep cranberry color.

1 lb light DME
1 lb plain light DME
3.3 lb light LME
1 oz Mt Hood (60)
1 oz fuggles (10)
Wyeast 1056, US-05, etc. Neutral ale yeast.
72 oz frozen red raspberries (make sure no sugar added)

Brew beer as usual. After a week or so squish up the raspberries in their bag, then pasteurize them (hold at 170 degF for 10 minutes or so). Add those to secondary and rack beer on top. Use blowoff tube because you'll get a pretty violent secondary fermentation from all those natural sugars.

Get yourself a nice big funnel for the raspberries, or you're going to end up with a big mess. Trust me.

I took a try at this recipe, so far it is a big disappointment. Tastes like grapefruit beer. I was so excited when it was in secondary... it looked dark red... but, it is coming out of the keg in a pink color.

I'm wondering what I did wrong... or, if it just needs more time to age.

I did one that was pretty close to the Abita. It used 1 oz Tettnang@60 and 1 oz Hersbrucker@2. I added 4 oz raspberry extract at bottling time. I'm not home, so I don't remember the grain bill, but I'll edit the post when I do.

I did one that was pretty close to the Abita. It used 1 oz Tettnang@60 and 1 oz Hersbrucker@2. I added 4 oz raspberry extract at bottling time. I'm not home, so I don't remember the grain bill, but I'll edit the post when I do.

Did you ever find that grain bill?

Did you ever find that grain bill?

Oh sorries about the delay; here is my recipe. By the way, we are tasting this for the first time either this afternoon or tomorrow! After tasting it at bottling time (both with and without the raspberry extract), it was awesome and pretty close to the Abita.

Code:
Purple Haze Clone (Z)
---------------------
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Estimated OG: 1.046 SG
Estimated FG: 1.012 SG
Estimated IBUs: 16.7 IBU
Estimated Color: 3.5 SRM
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72%
Boil Time: 60 minutes

Grains:
5.00# Pale Malt (2-Row) US (51.28%)
4.00# American wheat (41.03%)
0.50# Carapils/Dextrine (5.13%)
0.25# Rice hulls (2.56%)

Hops:
1.00 oz Tettnanger (US) (4.70%) @60 min
1.00 oz Tettnanger (US) (4.70%) @2 min

Yeast:
White Labs WLP300 (Hefeweizen Ale)

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, 151F
Mash for 60 min at 151F with 3.05 gal of water heated to 165F
Mash-out at 168F with 1.43 gal of water heated to 210F and hold for 10 minutes
Batch sparge at 168F with 4.58 gal of water heated to 177F

bump this. best place to find raspberry or blackberry extract? anyone?

I got mine from Austin Homebrew. I used two 2-oz. bottles for a 5 gal. batch. I think next time I'll try fresh or frozen raspberries instead for the hell of it.

to switch it up a little bit i went out and bought blackberry extract (my LHBS actually had the extracts, sweet!) and based on what i had read, adding the extract at the time of bottling like jgourd did will give you a fruitier taste as apposed to a more mellow taste as if you had added it during a secondary fermentation.

jgourd, how did you add it? just like you added the sugar for bottling? by just putting it in and giving it a little stir? thats what im thinking would be the best. correct me if im wrong.

thankssss

to switch it up a little bit i went out and bought blackberry extract (my LHBS actually had the extracts, sweet!) and based on what i had read, adding the extract at the time of bottling like jgourd did will give you a fruitier taste as apposed to a more mellow taste as if you had added it during a secondary fermentation.

jgourd, how did you add it? just like you added the sugar for bottling? by just putting it in and giving it a little stir? thats what im thinking would be the best. correct me if im wrong.

thankssss

Dump it in the bottling bucket along with your diluted corn sugar; then rack your beer into the bottling bucket.

Should I boil the extract or something to sanitize it? My guess is no as it would mess up the taste but I thought I'd ask.

Should I boil the extract or something to sanitize it? My guess is no as it would mess up the taste but I thought I'd ask.

I have never sanitized my flavor extracts and haven't had any problems. By the way, the wife and I tasted them last night. Absolutely awesome. I don't have a Purple Haze to compare to at the moment, but I'd say we're pretty damn close.

right on, i used that recipe list for a few notes when i did mine. i appreciate it. looking forward to the taste later on!

I took a try at this recipe, so far it is a big disappointment. Tastes like grapefruit beer. I was so excited when it was in secondary... it looked dark red... but, it is coming out of the keg in a pink color.

I'm wondering what I did wrong... or, if it just needs more time to age.

First off I have to ask, are you trying to clone purple haze from McMenamins? If so I know exactly whats wrong.

Abita's Website said:
Purple Haze is a crisp, American style wheat beer with raspberry puree added after filtration. Therefore, you may see raspberry pulp in the beer. The raspberries provide the lager with a subtle purple coloration and haze, a fruity aroma, and a tartly sweet taste.

ABV
4.2%
IBU
Color

Looks like they use real raspberries.

-Bump-

So I owe this debt.... and she has requested a batch of a clone of her favorite.

Has anyone done this recently? Any additional tips??

Thank you!

The back of the bottle indicates they use pilsner and wheat malts and Vanguard hops. And, that this is a lager, not an ale (Abita Turbodog is a great chocolate brown ale). And yes, they use fresh raspberries after filtering. Since most of us don't filter, maybe racking the lager into a third fermenter (off of the settled yeast) onto some cresh or frozen berries and lagering for a couple more weeks would be a good way to go?
I have no idea what yeast to use, but it should clearly be a lager yeast. Any suggestions?

Back