What to do when a recipe calls for hops at the end of boil...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evans5150

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have only brewed 2 batches so far. My first was an SNPA clone which didn't turn out right because the guy at the store didn't give me enough malt extract (only gave me 3 lbs. instead of 6 lbs.). The second which is fermenting is a Red Ale. Both recipes called for the "aroma hops" (2 oz. of Cascade) to be put in the boil pot after you remove it from the heat for 10 minutes. I used hop pellets in both cases and had this question:

Is it okay to just drop them in and let them break up or is it much better to use a hop bag and take them out after the 10 minutes?? Obviously if i just drop in the pellets and let them break up then it defeats the purpose of the recipe calling for them to only be put in for 10 minutes at the end of the boil. Does that make sense??

Thanks,

evans5150

Some people leave them in for as long as possible. I use a hop bag and remove it before pouring the wort into the carboy. I think you will get opionions both ways on this one. There is no right or wrong answer I think.

mmditter said:
Some people leave them in for as long as possible. I use a hop bag and remove it before pouring the wort into the carboy. I think you will get opionions both ways on this one. There is no right or wrong answer I think.

Sounds good. I have been putting in the hops that are called for in the last 10 minutes and then don't strain them out so they end up in the fermenter. I've been told that is okay also.

evans5150

I filter nothing and it comes out fine - but I use pellets and extract. Steeping grains go in a bag though.

I USUALLY leave mine in til the wort cools, then fish out the sock or it would plug my syphon hose.

The point of the aroma hops going in last is so you don't boil off all of the aroma. Tea drinkers don't boil the tea, either, just use hot water, about 170. I hope this works. On my current batch, I forgot the hop sock...til the wort had cooled to 170, then dropped it in. But the fermenter smelled of hops, so it might have worked. Time will tell....maybe I invented "warm hopping"? I'll sample at racking to secondary, maybe I can cold hop if needed, but I'm not much of a hop head either. I'll RDWHHB for now.

I toss them all in and just pour the wort in carefully to not get much off the bottom. With the primary and secondary I get pretty clear beer in the end.

Back