My LHBS Goes Online!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BuffaloSabresBrewer

Reaction score
My closest LHBS finally has their website up. I dont think its fully working but now I can at least browse their inventory easier.

Opinions Needed:
They have their hops stored in regular plastic bags in a refrigerator. I called the shop and asked about how long their hops have been their. She said about 6 months. Should I still buy them? Price of WAG026 Cascade Hops 4oz. $2.29! I can adjust the AA pretty easily and add a bit more just in case its been a bit longer than 6 months. But my real question is are they still going to be fresh enough?

She going in the back to get a count right now on how many they have left. What are your thought on how useful they are?

BuffaloSabresBrewer said:
But my real question is are they still going to be fresh enough?

That's a good question. I mean, conventional wisdom says "The fresher the better" but what exactly makes "fresh" better? I mean, are hops "stale" because the AA's are breaking down or for other reasons? If it's JUST the AA's breaking down, I see no reason why they wouldn't still be usable if you adjust.

Though, let me toss this out: If you want to support the local guy, does it really matter? And if you don't care about supporting the local guy, why not buy from somewhere else that you trust to be fresh - $2.29 isn't THAT much cheaper that I'd be willing to take bad product.

I would snatch them up at that price. If you can find them now anywhere, you are still unaware of the age, unless them mention if it is 06 or 07 crop.

That price is too good not to pick up a few ounces.

They have 32 4-ounces bags of cascade left. I didnt want to bother here with getting the quantity of any more varieties. Ill go get the link for you guys if anyone is interested. Like previously said Im gonna help out my local guy. If nothing else I might help turn over and get some 07 crop in.

One of the (two) LHBS here also stores their hops in the 'ziplock' bags in a fridge... I prefer to go to the shop that has them vacuum sealed, but I've used the ziplocked ones before without issue. As someone noted, if they are still green and they smell good, they are good to use, generally speaking...

If you are too worried, throw in an extra .1oz or something to account for some AA breakdown...

Just for reference, they were 2.99 for 2oz. sold this way at my LHBS last time I checked (since the 'shortage' fiasco), so your price seems exceptional if the hops are still good.

That's CRAZY! our LHBS is 2.99 for 1 ounce of cascade pellets! not 2 oz and definitely not 4 oz!

We're currently limited to 4oz total per visit, too.

The picture of the bag of leaf hops (1lb) on that site, though, looks HORRIBLE. Moldy, dry, just YUCK!

chriso said:
That's CRAZY! our LHBS is 2.99 for 1 ounce of cascade pellets! not 2 oz and definitely not 4 oz!

We're currently limited to 4oz total per visit, too.

The picture of the bag of leaf hops (1lb) on that site, though, looks HORRIBLE. Moldy, dry, just YUCK!
I know I laughed and tried to get them to throw them out, but she wouldn't.

Back