Red Rye Color Correction Help Needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrotherBock

Reaction score
I recently tried doing a Red Rye ale. I referenced various recipes and saw a lot of variation. I ended up with the recipe below. I'm generally happy with the way it turned out, but the color isn't right. It's more copper than it is red.

Does anybody have any suggestions on how to correct the color next time around so that I get a solid red color without changing the flavor, at least not by much? Should I swap the 60 for some 90? If so, will that give it more caramel than I want?

Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 3 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 4 gallons
Efficiency: 75% (brew house)
Source: Aaron Bach
Original Gravity:1.052
Final Gravity:1.012
approx. ABV :5.5%
IBU (tinseth):38.67
SRM (daniels):10.67

Fermentables
1.5 lb LME Light 27.3%
0.25 lb Crystal 60L 4.5%
1 lb Rye 18.2%
2.5 lb Pale 2-Row 45.5%
0.25 lb CaraRed 4.5%

Hops
7 g Zythos 60 min
0.5 oz Mount Hood 15 min
1.5 oz Centennial 2 min
0.5 oz Mount Hood 2 min
1 oz Mount Hood 7 days

yeast - safale - 04

I've found that the best way to get a nice red hue is a pinch of roasted barley. Use 1-2 ounces - that amount won't really give you any roasty flavors, but adds just the right amount of color.

Use 1-2 ounces - that amount won't really give you any roasty flavors, but adds just the right amount of color.

Considering my batch was only 3 gallons, do you recommend I use less than 2 ounces?

You can plug it into some brewing software to see, but yeah - maybe start with 1 ounce in a 3-gallon batch. Bump it up to 2 if you want a bit deeper color.

Back