What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Harvested Mt hood hops, to use as a late addition in tomorrow's pumpkin porter brew day.

image.jpeg

Added yeast to yesterdays brew, with temporary water lines my cold water has been running 80 degrees instead of the normal mid to low 50's so I only got temps down to 92 yesterday then put the fermenters in the pantry to finish cooling down.

Continued chasing down a CO2 leak.

Keg Pressure gauge got an internal leak just sitting in the fridge. There goes a full 20 pound tank.

Had a 13 hour brew day at the taproom...with many snafus. First a hose popped off the HLT spraying 180 water on my boss' foot (my fault), then we were both standing on the scaffold checking the boil kettle when the heavy spatula fell off the top, hitting the tri-clamp fitting on the bottom and of course knocking it to the floor, to the tune of 12 gallons lost from a 110 gallon batch. No burns, but when I got home my jeans were so stiff with dried wort they almost walked away by themselves. Also thank heavens wore my heavy work boots.

Kegged 5 gallons of Fat Dog Porter and bottled the remainder. 11 bottles.

just picked up eight stacks of pallets and two stacks of dirty kegs from my favourite craft brewery and delivered them to the major distribution hub. As I was loading the truck the bloke that works at the brewery came out and gave me a bag full of small production specials! Muchos dineros if you'd go get the same batch from a store.

Wanna guess what I'm doing today

Transferred and pitched yeast on the Oatmeal Stout I brewed last night. OMG the flavor on this one is out of this world. Tastes like really good oatmeal with brown sugar. And the OG came in at 1.073, going to be a butt-kicker. Using the carboy because I overshot the volume, wound up with over 7 gallons so will be bottling a few as well as kegging. Also added some Simcoe dry hop to the IPA I did last Friday, taste on that one was good as well. Pipeline is finally full with 3 kegs in the kegerator and two beers coming up. Downside to that is I won't have room to brew any more until mid-November.

Packaged some hops. Kegged some beer. Reminds me I need to go turn down the psi.

Packaging up three shipments for trades. Sending out various beers from Veil, Aslin and Pizza Boy. In return receiving various California and other western states (West Coast IPAs) and NEIPAs. Good group of people to trade with! WOOHOO :ban:

Cleaned some kegs. Ok. I just flipped them over to let the pbw hit the other side.

hey, me too! just finished about an hour or so ago. had a keg in the keezer that kicked a couple weeks ago and finally got around to cleaning it. also dumped the last of my club keg, to clear a tapper for my bell's two hearted clone.

in addition, sanitized a carboy and treated some raw cider with campden. making my first ever hard cider with unpasteurized juice from a local orchard. tomorrow morning i'll add some pectic enzyme and come tomorrow evening, yeast!

Awesome labels

Thx mate! Took me sth like two minutes with the beer labelizer, just a quick grab pic from a google search (I believe that's a clipart pic) resize and print. I only have a monochrome laser printer so doing elaborate pictures usually end up being a dark grey smudge so the simpler the better.

^ Well that was quite surprising. Left the bottles to our cargo terminal for him to pick up, turns out he left me a twenty note. That wasn't agreed upon at all. So I did what any homebrewer would, and right after I got from work I drove to my LHBS and got me a tin of coopers sparkling ale and a brew enhancer 2 kit :D

In a minute gonna wash both fermenters and brew two batches, one sparkling and one draft I had bought earlier. Should keep me stocked until I have time to brew properly.

Yesterday cleaned a keg and filled it with the hoppy goodness that is my house IPA. Also gloated for a few minutes over the carboy that my oatmeal stout currently resides in, and forcibly restrained myself from having a taste of it. Oh, and cleaned up the rest of the mess from brewing it last weekend. Stout wort is STICKY.

In the last 24 hrs:

Bottled off the last of my cyser to make room in the kegerator.
Went to the LHBS.
Made a 4 L starter of WLP775 for new cider and cyser.
Kegged a pale ale and session mead.
Ordered a 1.5 gal Torpedo keg.
Cleaned and sanitized 3 carboys.
Made new StarSan.
Sanitized 3 buckets to go pick up fresh cider with tomorrow.

Whew!
But ready to go....

View attachment 1507746754508.jpg

View attachment 1507746806276.jpg

So what I did for *cider* since the last post is:

Back to the LHBS for replacement grains...my 4-legged a$$holes (dogs) decided to get into my brew supplies on the kitchen table and ate half a pound of C40 and a couple oz of Special B. SUPER glad they didn't get into the DME! :eek:

This AM picked up 18 gal of fresh pressed cider!
Made a batch of graff.
Made a straight cider.
Made a cyser.
1 gal test batch to try out SafCider.
1 gal 'control' batch with an old pack of WLP775.

I deserved this HB pale ale that's carbing up nicely!

Brew control now looks like this:

Bottled a batch of sparkling ale, might have been a bit immature though, yea imma lazy bstard and never bother with the FG following, usually just let it sit for three weeks or so, when I got it done I took a peek at the brew diary and realized it wasn't due til next weekend so boxed the bottles just in case...

Kegged a batch of oatmeal rasin cookie stout. Now I have to keep my hands off it till thanksgiving.

Cleaning Binge in the brew room today. Scrubbed and cleaned 6 fermenters, 5 carboys, and some new equipment. Some well needed fall cleaning and all because my brew day started bad, so I stopped before I couldn't. From experience, if the brew day starts bad it ends bad. Last bad start my chiller leaked into my wort just after I started cooling and my fermentation fridge died 10 mins into cooling my wort down before pitching. Reviving the fridge was an easy fix (luckily since it's my wife's extra fridge), just a tiny adjustment in the audio deftest screw thingy.

Bottling up the house grog this morning. Drinking commercial until this conditions as I got lazy and let the pipeline run dry. :(

Back