Is this thing ever going to quit bubbling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parrothead600

Reaction score
I am doing a Samuel Adams Boston Lager clone. I am using Wyeast 2206 Barvarian Lager liquid yeast. I made the noob mistake of pitching the yeast before the bag had started to expand. On day 3, I began to see some airlock activity, so I put the bucket in my freezer/fermentation chamber @ 50*. On day 6, my airlock became clogged so I switched to a blow-off tube in a mason jar.
Now I am @ day 16 and I am still getting a bubble every 2-3 seconds. Yesterday, I lifted the lid from the bucket & I still have a thick layer of krausen. I was hoping to be able to rack this to the secondary for dry-hopping soon. (I also want to free-up my primary bucket to start a batch of Cider) How long should I wait?

until it stops bubbling = 1 bubble per minute - it could be infected and if so will bubble for ever but you can smell that easily - think tcp and vomit....its probably fine.

I'm sure other will chime in saying the same thing but... bubbles do not always = fermentation, especially after a few weeks. Take a hydro reading and that will tell you for certain.

Hydrometer readings on two different days that read the same tell you the fermentation is complete.

Bubbling is not an indicator, as Dragon said...The beer could just be passing gas.

I would wait, at a minimum, until the krausen drops completely and you get a steady hydro reading for three days. It will be worth the wait!

its a lager, they take longer. just wait til the krausen drops. I wouldn't begin dry hopping it yet if you plan on lagering it, wait til closer to bottling time

I would wait, at a minimum, until the krausen drops completely and you get a steady hydro reading for three days. It will be worth the wait!

That's the same thought that I had. I should also add that this is my first time using liquid yeast.
Does liquid yeast act differently than dry yeast?
How long should I expect to have to wait for the krausen to drop?

Back