Does loss of foam due to blow off equal loss of beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer-Baron

Reaction score
So lets say I have alot of wort. Like the bucket is almost to the top.

I just pitched my starter and I'm expecting a blow out.

Will that mean that all the foam I lose will mean lost beer? Or is the foam extra stuff that doesn't really matter?

So how about it?

Yup, you'll lose beer/wort. A lot of stuff will blow out that you'll be glad is gone, plus a bit of beer when all is said and done. Not enough to worry about or think about any more beyond this point. :)

I just tell myself it is would-be beer, not really beer yet, and I feel much better.

The worst blow-off I've experienced amounted to a couple bottles-worth. Once I tasted the final product I got over it.

most of your blow-off is krausen with is yeast and proteins and bubbles. not a lot of beer is lost, IIRC i don't think there is any beer (or future beer) is lost.

Awesome. Thank you!

its been about 18 hours since pitching and I'm just seeing the beggining of it. The foam just started entering the blow off tube. Hasn't made it to the other end yet. I got nervous because I just went into work so I put on a bigger blow off.

How long is typical before the blowoff really goes boom? 48 hours?

The owner of the LHBS told me that too much blow-off can carry a lot of yeast and cause weak fermentation toward the end - could end up with a high F.G. Maybe somebody else knows more about it.

I tend to agree with ncbrewer as the "foam" that gathers on top of an ale is your yeast, not wort. beware, however, the foam could clog your air lock and poison your final taste...

TheHomebrewConnection

Beer-Baron said:
So lets say I have alot of wort. Like the bucket is almost to the top.

I just pitched my starter and I'm expecting a blow out.

Will that mean that all the foam I lose will mean lost beer? Or is the foam extra stuff that doesn't really matter?

So how about it?

Fermcap s will keep the blowoff at a minimum, if not stop it. Great at preventing boil-overs, too. Just a few drops works magic.

I lost 3 beers to to a maddiding fermentation useing hydrated coopers and a rye ipa. Sucks. cuz its really good too.It overflowed my blowoff jar and i had a good puddle in the tub it was in when i got home and it was all said and done by then fast and furious.
I know my level and my yeast settleling level i definatly lost 2-3 beers worth. That, and i had 3 more bottles sanitized with no more beer left to fill them with. :(

I always add an extra half gallon of water to the fermenter before pitching my yeast. At least if I do have blowoff it will get the extra and not the original 5 gallons I am expecting.

Back