predicting FG on oatmeal stout partial mash kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twd000

Reaction score
I brewed my 1st partial mash last weekend : http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewi...sh-kits/oatmeal-stout-partial-mash-kit-1.html

I took an OG reading somewhere around 1.045, so I undershot the target of 1.049

No airlock activity but I took a gravity reading today of 1.022 so it's fermenting, slowly. I plan to leave it in primary for another 2 weeks regardless, but can I predict a final gravity? I used a package of Safale S04 dry yeast.

It smells good, but 3% alcohol is pretty low if it's "done"

There are quite a few variables that go into that - amount of non-fermentables in your wort, the attenuation of the yeast, the health of the yeast, the temperature you are fermenting at, and it goes on and on. Oh and if you are using extract that's a whole other set of unknowns.

If its only been a week in the fermenter, just leave it, and the yeast will keep working, just as you suggested. I bet you'll be pleased with it when its done.

update: it's now been 1 month in the primary. The FG has settled at 1.020 which would give an ABV of 3.28%. Are these #'s in the expected range for an oatmeal stout style, or should I try something to get the FG lower?

Back