My new basement pub

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kass_Brauhaus

Reaction score
I am pumped. I finally finished making the cabinets in the kitchen, so my wife has given me permission to build my pub in the basement (yes, phillc, she gave me permission :drunk:)

Here are a few photos of the space. I would appreciate any and all suggestions. My overall theme is something of the irish brewpub flavor, with a slight nautical theme. The room is 23 feet long, and between 14 and 16.5 feet wide.

Here is the view from the entrance, looking right. I plan to have a long bar with the taps and such against the far wall running parallel to the wall with the window.

Bar_0013.JPG

This is looking straight from the entrance (turned left a little).
Bar_0023.JPG

This is turned more left to look at the other wall.
Bar_0032.JPG

This is standing at the door from the above picture looking back at the main entrance to the room.
Bar_0042.JPG

I would consider myself an apprentice-level finish carpenter. I will be making the bar and everything. I can run water from the laundry room, which is just to the right of the dartboard if I build a soffit. The sewer cleanout is in a closet which is right behind the blue couch (I assume I can tie into sewer there...with the help of a competent plumber). I can run electrical and lighting wherever. In fact I'll probably put in a whole new bar circuit.

I want ideas! Flooring, paneling, ceiling, lighting, everything! This means I can get all my kegging equipment too and have a place to put it! Woo hoo!

Storage for all my brew stuff is a must. I was thinking a bench seat all along the back wall with a fold up seat.

Thanks all
:mug:

Thanks dude!

Slight edit--the bar will not be against the wall--I want it to be like a real bar with the kegs behind, all the liquor behind, and room to walk and pour, with enough room for 6-8 stools on the front side.

I am looking to do an irish themed pub in m y basement this year too. I think I am finally set on flooring. I am below grade, so hardwood is not an option. I am going laminate. I am most likely going with a product very similar to the one below:
dark-varnished-oak-country.jpg

I am almost to the point where I am going to pull the rigger on the flooring. That really is the first major step for me. Then I am financially committed to starting, and more importantly, finishing the project.

Not sure if this is a consideration for you, but in most countryside Irish pubs, they had running fireplaces as a heat source. Since this will be in my basement, I ave given consideration to this, and will plan to have a pellet stove installed as part of the pub build.

It is good you are skilled with finish work. In most/all pubs in Ireland, there is a ton of detail work that really makes the bar look like a work of art. This is where I fear the most.

celestial-
I go to Perth every once in a while on business. God I love Australia.

cheese-
Money isn't a big issue, so long as I can spread the costs out. I'll save money where I can by doing the work myself, so...

Ryan, you read my mind. I'm already keeping an eye out for a pellet stove. Not only as an accent piece, but also just as a great way to heat the house! As for the finish work, I definitely plan on testing myself! The only problem is that I know I'll put more money into this bar than I'll get back when we sell the house. Oh well. I'll get enough use out of it to make it up.

I like that laminate flooring.

What are your plans for the acquarium? Get rid of it or go massive so you can swim with your pet shark after having 6 or 12 homebrews?

Ha! I have no real plans, but the fish in there have been with me for 3 years now and have survived 2 moves, so they're sticking around for a while...

No massive aquarium for me--the 44 gallon one is enough.

Im from ireland and lived in a seaside town so if you want to make it irsh just get the typical guiness and harp signs, also cider is quite popular and would make a good addition if you are intrested in brewing that, but the main thing is to make it feel homey, no one wants to drink in a cold feeling pub. have fun building and post some pics when your done

Rather than laminate, how about slate tiles? If you put in a pellet stove, you could use more slate to build a riser for it and even a mantle. I also think it would be cool to do a really rough cut, aged wood wainscoting all around. Something kind of like old barn wood! A pool table would be sweet to have with the dart board.

That is awesome! I am jealous. I can't wait to move into a new house with a basement so I can make my bar!

Latest posts

Back