Kegging 3 gallon batches in 5 gallon kegs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qvantamon

Reaction score
Hi,

I decided to do 3 gallon batches (mostly I want to brew more frequently, and live in an apartment). I'm also looking into kegging, and it seems that used 5 gallon cornies can be had for dirt cheap, while the 3 gallon ones are only sold new. Apparently, it'd be cheaper for me to get a mini-fridge and two 5 gallons than to get two 3 gallons and fit them in my kitchen fridge. (also more versatile, doesn't kill half my fridge space, and I can kegerate the minifridge, etc).

Supposing I purge the kegs with CO2 before kegging, should there be any drawback in kegging 3 gallons in 5 gallon kegs?

I don' think it would be a problem because all the O2 will be gone as you carbonate with CO2. It will probably carbonate faster as well.

I do it all the time. I make 5 gallon batches and bottle 1 or 2 gallons of each to save for long term.

it works out great for me.

plus if you shake the kegs when you carb it seems to be much faster because there is more contact with the co2.

I do the same as "madewithchicken" I rack about 2 gallons to be bottled before kegging the rest. If you force carb your kegs I use 30 psi for 5 mins and shake vigourously. As a rule of thumb I subtract one min per gallon less. But it's not exact. There are plenty of charts and formulas out there but I was never good at math.

Back