BoilerMaker Dip tube = Crazy Dead Space

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ondori

Reaction score
I got a boilermaker, and I was happy as hell, until I started to run off. I leave behind a gallon easy with this thing. I was having to siphon the rest out of the kettle. Pretty crazy. I was thinking this thing was going to suck the kettle dry, but I was wrong. Any one else have this issue? What did you do to fix it?

1. Tilt your kettle a bit towards the dip tube.

2. Especially if you are using a pump on it, as per the instructions that come with it, when you get down near the top of the dip tube, you ought to really slow down the flow rate until it's empty by closing the outlet valve on your pump most of the way (assuming March or LG magnetic drive). This allows the liquid level to settle a bit more evenly as it drains, so it doesn't lose siphon as quickly.

Never have trouble with mine, I usually siphon mine pretty much dry. You're using an appropriate amount of hose to keep a siphon when you're running off?

All it takes is a couple of feet of siphon tubing below the ball valve to suck all but a cup or so out of a Boilermaker...

Cheers!

make sure your hose connections to the valve are very tight (maybe use a worm clamp to make sure if you aren't already). If there is any air getting in there, it can make it harder to maintain a good siphon.

Before I converted everything to camlocks, I just slipped a 3 foot piece of 1/2" ID silicone tubing over the barb, no need for a clamp...

Cheers!

Before I converted everything to camlocks, I just slipped a 3 foot piece of 1/2" ID silicone tubing over the barb, no need for a clamp...

Cheers!

That's a lot of tubing over a small barb. :D Or maybe my barb isn't as big as yours?

OP: Just check that there isn't any air getting into the tubing at the kettle's valve. If there is, you can use a clamp, 3 foot of tubing :)o), or whatever you want to stop it.

Back