Need advice on AHS Grain Belt Clone kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msa8967

mickaweapon
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Decided to try my first all grain lager recipe so I ordered a kit of my favorite lawn mower beer (Grain Belt). I typed the recipe into BeerSmith and have a couple of questions on the results given by BeerSmith:

Recipe: AHS
6 lbs 6-Row
2 lbs Flaked maize
1/2 lb. Carapils
1 oz Tettnang (60 min)
1 oz Perle (15 min)
American Lager 2035
estimated SG: 1.045
estimated IBU: 32.1

1. The IBU/SG ratio is estimated to be 0.714 which seems very high for a lager. From what I know Tettnang is usually used for aroma and Perle for bittering and here they seem to have reversed roles. Switching these would raise the IBU/SG which would not make sense to me. Does anyone have a good idea of the proper IBU/SG ratio for an American Lager?

2. This is the first recipe I have made using 6-row. Is the flavor profile of 6 row all that different than 2 row? I was thinking of adding some 2 row to this recipe to adjust the SG but I am not sure if 6 row and 2 row can be combined together w/o making off flavors.

3. Should I use the same procedure for making a yeast starter for a lager that I used for making ales? How about washing the yeast after fermentation, will I use the same basic method for a lager as an ale?

Thanks for any input you might have to share.

My classic american lager is at .659 and it's 10 ibu under the "style" guidelines, and it's a great summer beer.

Ahs kits are pretty solid, brew it as is. Lagers need a BIG starter, refer to Mr. Malty.

_

Which "style guideline" are you refering to? I tried this under "Premium American Lager" in BeerSmith and that has a max IBU of 25. Thus, I think I might be using the wrong style guideline.

Thanks for the reply.

Which "style guideline" are you refering to? I tried this under "Premium American Lager" in BeerSmith and that has a max IBU of 25. Thus, I think I might be using the wrong style guideline.

Thanks for the reply.

2c, Classic American Pilsner. BJCP guidelines

Lagers in America in the 50's actually had some hops in it, great stuff.

_

What's the AAUs of the tettnang? That makes a difference in the IBUs. What does AHS say the IBUs are for that recipe?

The Tettnang hops packages have 4.8% listed on them. I used 4.5% from previous beersmith entries. There is no IBU rating listed on either the instruction sheet by AHS or their website listing.

You're over thinking this. Make a big starter, brew recipe as is, control your fermentation temps. Your beer will be fine, if you have good water that is.:)

_

Back