Sealing up Cooler Mash Tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KJB5200

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

So I finally made the move from a two-bucket mash system to a square cooler. I have a 45qt Rubbermaid Victory cooler (Model: FG2A9102MODBL from Home Depot). I picked up a 1/2" brass male x male ball valve and a 1/2" CPVC CTS male adapter to attach a short length of 1/2" CPVC to. The plan was to run the short CPVC through the cooler's original gasket (it fits the gasket perfectly) but I can't for the life of me get the 1/2" OD CPVC pipe through the bulkhead with the gasket in place. If I put the gasket on the CPVC first, I can't compress it enough to pass through the 1/2" bulkhead opening and if I seat the gasket in the cooler first, I can't get the 1/2" pipe through it without damaging the gasket.

I'm guessing I could make it work if I widen the bulkhead opening a bit but before I go permanently modifying the cooler I wanted to get the opinion of some of people here.

you could try 3/8 dia pipe and see if that fits or like you suggested you could enlarge the bulkhead hole.

BBL Brewer - GREAT solution!

I ended up being able to use most of what I had already bought and it turned out much cleaner than I expected it to be. Never again will I mess around with washers and gaskets - rubber stoppers are my new best friend!

Thanks again

I just ran the tubing through the spigot of the Coleman & used a PEX valve. Here's a pic:

MashTunDrain.jpg

Thanks for the info hamiltont but I'm running a ball-valve on the exterior of the cooler that I didn't want dangling around. BBL Brewer's solution of using a tapered rubber stopper to create the inner seal allowed me to run 1/2" CPVC through a #3 stopper which created a water-tight seal and a sturdy junction for the ball valve to connect to.

Happy Brewing!

Back