Worst Commercial Beer You've Ever Had?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MeatyPortion

Internet Bartender
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
About 10 years ago my old band was playing a gig in Lansing and then another in Detroit on back to back nights. So we begin the long, fun drive from Madison to Detroit. Our van breaks down in Gary, Indiana which is a beautiful little city and we have it towed to a mechanic. After several Deliverance-like hours we're back on the road again but have no chance in hell of making the Lansing gig. We get there in time to see one of the other bands and play pinball after 15 minutes of which we hit the road to find a hotel. And beer.

We bought a 24 pack of Strohs after running over a gigantic dead raccoon.

Long story short, we got tanked on Strohs at 3 in the morning in the hotel room, trashed it, watched our vocalist and guitarist fight and roll around in the freshly ordered pizza from a Gumby's imitator, laughed at the guitarist (who we locked out of the room for being too drunk for even us to stand) outside the room screaming to be let back in, and then all passed out.

I will never drink Strohs again.

Yes, I got the pizza fight on tape: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6tWc-gjA9o]YouTube - Don vs Luck[/ame]

I drank a Chili Beer once. It's basically a light ale with a really spicy beer crammed inside. It burnt like fire going down.

I knew it would suck, but Man Law says when a guy tells you to drink a beer, you drink a beer.

About 3-4 years ago I had an apartment in a residential section of Nassau County, NY which is on Long Island. My roommate and I became quickly known as partyers in the neighborhood. My nextdoor neighbor told me he had a case of beer that he didn't need. I gave him seven dollars for a case of Lion's Head Beer. He told me he had won it in a raffle and didn't drink.

I should have known.

About a week later after finishing off our beer, I decided to try one of these Lion's Head Beers. Wow, that was simply awful. It tasted like hot budweiser, and it was ice cold.

I took the entire case and just put it at the curb. Probably not a wise decision as any kid could have and probably did grab them. It might serve them as a good lesson if that was their first beer.

Who the hell gives away crappy beer in a raffle?

I lived off the dragon in NYC when I was a kid. The homebums and all the squatters enjoyed it as well.
=)

When we were feeling uppity we drank the Country Club =)

country_club_small.JPG

When I was in college, we used to go down to the ghetto mart and buy a bunch of 40's and all sit around getting wrecked whilst watching WWF. It was like a man's soap opera, and it was ONLY good when you were drinking malt liquor. I tried watching it sober once, I thought I was gonna fall asleep. Anyway, I was big into OE Ice...it had the most alcohol % for the $. Failing that, regular OE and Private Stock were both acceptable...country club wasn't the worst thing in the world either.

So one day, we figure, what the hell, we're gonna try this new fad all the kids are into, called "Steel Reserve". That was a fatal decision that I regret to this day. Now, when I was a little kid, I had asthma. Not terrible, but it was annoying and I actually went to the hospital once. I was over it by the time I went to middle school, so it wasn't like it hurt me in sports or anything. So here I am, over 10 years later, drinking this awful, awful, awful sh*t, trying to choke it down because, well, I dropped a few bucks on it, and hey, I'm not made of money! Well, I get about halfway through it, and I start having a goddamn asthma attack for the first time in like 15 years. Yes, that stuff IS brewed with a little piece of hell inside. There is no worse beer (if you can call it that).

When I was in college, we used to go down to the ghetto mart and buy a bunch of 40's and all sit around getting wrecked whilst watching WWF. It was like a man's soap opera, and it was ONLY good when you were drinking malt liquor. I tried watching it sober once, I thought I was gonna fall asleep. Anyway, I was big into OE Ice...it had the most alcohol % for the $. Failing that, regular OE and Private Stock were both acceptable...country club wasn't the worst thing in the world either.

So one day, we figure, what the hell, we're gonna try this new fad all the kids are into, called "Steel Reserve". That was a fatal decision that I regret to this day. Now, when I was a little kid, I had asthma. Not terrible, but it was annoying and I actually went to the hospital once. I was over it by the time I went to middle school, so it wasn't like it hurt me in sports or anything. So here I am, over 10 years later, drinking this awful, awful, awful sh*t, trying to choke it down because, well, I dropped a few bucks on it, and hey, I'm not made of money! Well, I get about halfway through it, and I start having a goddamn asthma attack for the first time in like 15 years. Yes, that stuff IS brewed with a little piece of hell inside. There is no worse beer (if you can call it that).

When I was in college I once played forty hands (duct tape a forty to each hand and you cant take the tape off until you finish both. Always fun trying to take a piss.) with steel reserve. Ive never had such a hard time drinking 80oz of beer in my life. One of my friends actually threw up and some got into one of his fortys so since he wouldnt drink it everyone decided he couldnt remove the bottles from his hands. Great night he pissed himself like 3 times cause he couldnt get his fly down. :drunk:

I actually like Strohs.

My worst beer was a Rasberry Lambic that I had at Michigan Winter Beer Festival in GR two years ago. Tasted like Rasberry vomit. Other raved about it, so what do I know.

This is followed closely by Leinenkugel's Berrry Weiss. I like some Leiney's, but not stuff can go straight back to hell.

No story, just bad beer.

When I was in college I once played forty hands (duct tape a forty to each hand and you cant take the tape off until you finish both. Always fun trying to take a piss.) with steel reserve. Ive never had such a hard time drinking 80oz of beer in my life. One of my friends actually threw up and some got into one of his fortys so since he wouldnt drink it everyone decided he couldnt remove the bottles from his hands. Great night he pissed himself like 3 times cause he couldnt get his fly down. :drunk:

hahahahaha!!!!! I want to leave work right now, go home and play "Forty Hands".......Pure Genus!!!!!!

My worst beer is Silver Thunder......HANDS DOWN! We were buying beer to tailgate a concert. We were about 21, 22 years old, still in college so money was a little tight and since we were fairly new to legal drinking, we weren't knowledgeable when it came to good beer. We had X amount of dollars....our total came to X-$9 so we had and extra 9 bucks. How do you split that between 5 guys? You don't, you walk take another lap around the store and look for something that cost $9: Silver Thunder

I think it was the next day that I decided that life is too short to drink bad beer.

Going to school in Milwaukee we had a lot of bad beer around. Standard issue for keg partys was Busch light delivered with 2 bags of ice and a sleeve of cups for $30/keg.
One day we decided to "save a buck" well $2 actually and had them send over Milwaukee Best Ice Light. - Gross-
I tasted like an MGD that got a little too warm so to fix it they threw a twinkie or two in there and re-chilled it...

But the all time best (worst) Involved trying to save money on liquor. My housemates and I used to pregame on saturday by spliting a handle of Captain Morgan before we hit the house partys/bars. Every Satyurday (barring a match) was the same routine: Wake up at noon, hit the McD's drive through for supersize Cokes with our Big Mac meals, drive to Badger Beer and get 2 cases beer and a handle of captain, pour captain into the half empty supersize Cokes...
One saturday the "helpful" guy at the store suggests an alternate spiced rum that tastes just like Captain and for the cost of 2 handles of Captain we could get a case (12) 750ml bottles of Mohawk Rum.
We couldn't even finish one bottle. We left the rest of the case in the house when we moved out 2 years later. The new occupants thanked us for the "sweet score" ah to be young and foolish...I always wanted to findout how much they left behind...

I don't even want to remepber the time we made jello shots with generic 151 rum...

Opaque beer in Antiqua, TWI. This is made by fermenting a very thin mash, then bottling it, grain, husks, yeast, everything. Alcoholic gruel.

I once went to a house party my friends were throwing in downtown Madison. Big party, lots of people. I asked what they had for beer. Their response?

My friends: We've got everything!
Me: Define "everything".
My friends: Coors Light and Natural Light!
Me.... F*ck it. *buys a cup*

When I left the party 3 hours later I made it across the street and puked all over a Birch tree. I don't even remember walking home (which was a mile away).

Tequiza.....

But, I always like Mickey's Ice - there were three different flavors, and you never knew which one you'd get until you were about 1/2 way thru and started to warm up:

1) skunk
2) satan's ass
3) champagne

(3 rarely happened)

I once went to a house party my friends were throwing in downtown Madison. Big party, lots of people. I asked what they had for beer. Their response?

My friends: We've got everything!
Me: Define "everything".
My friends: Coors Light and Natural Light!
Me.... F*ck it. *buys a cup*

When I left the party 3 hours later I made it across the street and puked all over a Birch tree. I don't even remember walking home (which was a mile away).

...the birch died.

steel reserve is ghastly stuff. gets my vote. i don't remember the story behind it, cause i blacked out a few hours into it. it just sucked the next day.

I drink infected / bad home brews all the time. We were gifted a ton of them for our BJCP sensory studies.

The beer analyst in me can't stop trying to figure wtf went wrong.

At my last homebrew club meeting a guy had brought in some experimental beer that he made where had put a bunch of wormwood in it. That was just undrinkable. I mean, truly awful. I've had infected beers that tasted better.

During college I drank a warm Mickey's 40 that had been in the sun all day at the beach. Horrible. Remember trying to put it in the water awhile to cool it down but the water was hot. So then I had a warm beer still with salt and sand all over it.

No funny story really. Went to the beach and didn't have to drive so I wanted to get more drunk and we ran out of beer and money.

Probably that abortion of an American wheat I made for my second batch. I drank it all because I'm a total fooking idiot and should let it get friendly with the sewer.

When I was in college I once played forty hands (duct tape a forty to each hand and you cant take the tape off until you finish both. Always fun trying to take a piss.) with steel reserve.

This is a dangerous game. Never let one of your friends play it if they like to tell stories when drunk, and like to use their hands when they tell stories. Thankfully, the party wasn't at our house, so the carpet and vases that got destroyed weren't ours.

Worst I've ever consumed on purpose? I had a full keg of...something. I think it was supposed to be a light pale ale or cream ale, but something went wrong and there was definitely a funky clove/cider flavor. Ran out of beer pong beer at a party at our house so I just swapped QDs onto that keg. A couple people who drank from that keg haven't been to one of my parties since. Thankfully, they're all people I don't really like anyway who I've never let try one of my good beers :D

Do any of you guys remember the "generic" beer phase from the mids 80's? We used to get cases of this stuff and head out to the drive in movie. You weren't supposed to have alcohol but nobody ever cared. We'd drink it right out in the open.

I don't know who actually brewed this stuff, but it was generally pretty foul.

GOE774304020302.jpg

Do any of you guys remember the "generic" beer phase from the mids 80's? We used to get cases of this stuff and head out to the drive in movie. You weren't supposed to have alcohol but nobody ever cared. We'd drink it right out in the open.

GOE774304020302.jpg

The generic I recall was called USA beer - U Save Alot.
If you dropped a can, the aluminum was so thin, the can split open.

Steel Reserve kicked off the 'nake' fight in my neighborhood. A grown man fight. Bad beer.

Some chocolate milk beer at Flying Saucer. Hey, chocolate, milk and beer. I like all those. Must be good. No. Not at all.

GOE774304020302.jpg

That is seriously wrong to bring up generic beer. I completely pushed that out of my head. My sphincter immediately puckered when I saw the picture. That stuff was seriously WRONG and would always cause some awful beer $h*ts.

When I graduated from high school I moved to Belgium for a year for a student exchange. I had all the money that I managed to save up during my senior year, plus the 60Euros a month that my Rotary club gave me since they were hosting me. When I was with my host families I drank great beer. For a matter of fact, for the first 5 months I was there I drank great beer. Then I started to run out of money.

There are two beers that one should never drink in Belgium. One I remember clear as day because all of the exchange students would pound a .5l can or two of it when they needed a cheap, quick buzz to get into party mode. It is called Carapils (thats right) and I swear to god it is made from straight carapils with maybe an oz of hops per BBL. It costs a Euro a can. The second beer... I cannot remember the name of it for my life, but it was 12% ABV and it tasted like satans anus the day after he eats taco bell. The beer comes in 8, 10, and 12% so if you're in Belgium, and are feeling cheap, for the love of all things sacred, do not drink it....

Steel reserve about a month ago. I had a hangover that same night even before going to bed. Aweful aweful stuff. Me and the lady decided to party it up before she left for a week and were shopping for her camping trip so picked up two of them. Got home and she opened them both, we barely finished one together. Took shots instead.

Steel Reserve is NASTY STUFF!! There was some of that at a party last Saturday. I hadn't tasted the dragon in so long. I went for a can. I was pretty drunk. You know the kind of drunk where painfull is funny? Well I knew it was going to suck but I think I learned my lesson. You know that nasty beer face you get when you drink Natty Ice? Well it goes away after a couple of sips as you adjust. You never adjust with the Reserve. Gut Rot my friends.

While perhaps not the absolute worst beer I've ever had, a few months ago I paid craft brew prices for a 4 pack of Horse Piss Beer. I figured, with a name like that it must be good. Right?

It seriously tasted like a blend of Miller Lite, Busch Lite, well water, and Palmolive dish soap. Say, 40/40/15/5 on the proportions.

To be avoided.

My FIRST BAD BEER:
in 1972 at the age of 6. I got into my Grandfather's "Stash" of "Garage Beer". Garage Beer was the stuff he got as a gift or bought on sale and "Lagered" in his garage by his boat. Cases and cases of stuff that was out of date by a long shot. The First bad beer was a Can of Schitz er ahh Schlitz that HAD NO PULL TAB. Who in hell knows how old it truly was? It was BAD!
So Bad, that it was almost 10 years later before I tried another beer/

Bad Beer #2:

Carlings Black Label.... made me believe that Canadians were EVIL. :cross:

Growing up in a bush village, we never had good beer. So when I went to college in Minnesota, I didn't know that there were different classes of beer. Until I drank Lost Lake. That putrid walleye-piss of a beer was so bad that the three of us ACTUALLY DIDN'T FINISH A 30 PACK! We all had the ****s the next day, and one of us couldn't drink beer for the rest of the week! That being said, to this day, my favorite cheap beer is Keystone Ice. It was the only beer we could get our hands on, and I will always love "Black Beauties." Don't judge me.

I brewed an apa a couple months ago that was pretty hideous. It tasted like feet.. nasty, stanky, swamp feet with a hint of ass. Not only did it taste like it was infected but that **** finished at like 1.022 so it was sickeningly sweet. I refused to throw it out and drank 5 gallons of it. Some of it I cut 60/40 with some dunkel weizen which made it much more bearable, some I drank straight but no matter how you sliced it, that **** was ****ing nasty. I figured it would serve as a good reminder to do my best to brew good beer. I haven't used safale 05 since either.

Steel Reserve is indeed nasty stuff. I bought a 4 pack of it while I was living in downtown Madison. Memories of vomiting loudly are all I can process right now.

Hamm's was another bad one. Had that for 50 cents a can at some bar in River Falls. That was a black out night.

Koch's Golden Anniversary Beer is probably the worst beer that I have ever had. In fact, I think a case of Pepsi is more expensive then this beer.

I also gotta toss in a vote for Steel Reserve as well. On the way home from a tattoo session I decided to buy one because i'd never had it before and I couldn't even finish it. Absolutely wretched stuff.

My other vote goes to Hurricane High Gravity malt liquor. Had a terrible week at work and just wanted to go home and get druck and chill out.

Popped into the local liquor store on the way home, proceeded to the couch and popped open my can of whoop-ass. I think I managed to drink less then half of it down before I ended up giving it back to the porcelain god. :(

Back