Bubbles coming out of airlock lid????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akthor

Reaction score
So I made an Octoberfest today. Filled my airlock with starsan solution from my spray bottle. Went down and checked and it fermenting happily away but there are bubbles coming out of the tiny holes in the airlock cover??? Starsan bubbles??? Normal?

Happens to me all the time. If I get a good ferment going and my fermenter seals well, I'll get a little tower of bubbles growing above the airlock.

It may also be about to blow out........are the bubbles clear or brownish?

^^

Like he said, keep an eye on it that the holes don't clog up too much though. Only happened to me once but once the airlock got clogged and the gas had nowhere else to go so it started blowing up the bucket lid like a dome. I found this out when it sounded like a jet sitting with the engines idling. It was about to blow at that point.

Happens all the time here to starsan is very prone to bubbling. Here's some photographic evidence
beer011.jpg

Kind of a PITA so much bubbles that I have to keep filling the airlock :( I might have to go vodka I am lazy and don't like having to check it every few hours.

Not to preach, but one day it dawned on me that I could primary in buckets. I've never looked back.

Secondary or bulk conditioning is easy to clean, primary makes a MESS.

To each their own.

Kind of a PITA so much bubbles that I have to keep filling the airlock :( I might have to go vodka I am lazy and don't like having to check it every few hours.

Keep in mind that vodka evaporates quickly, so if you want to avoid having to refill it, that might not be the best solution.

Vodka takes ~1.5 months to evaporate in my place, so I don't have to fill it *often*.

A 6.5g bucket with 3g of beer in it is even fewer worries. :)

It is coming out the top of the "S" type airlock. I got them from vintner's circle and they have little holes in the top similar to the 3 piece ones. That was one heck of a fermentation on that beer. That pic was only like 1.5 hours after pitching and before I went to bed there was a blowoff tube on it. I don't usually need one but that one was quite vigorous.

Star San foams. It's ok. I personally use a cheap vodka that I've had for quite a while entirely dedicated to airlocks, and it's always fine. Either way, you're cool.

Latest posts

Back