Critique my porter!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tkone

Reaction score
First time making a dark all-grain beer. I took an old extract recipe I had and played around with it, does this look crazy?

b.c. goldings only because i'm out of ekgs sadly and i've got these so i might as well use them. although i was thinking of switching them out for fuggles instead

Code:
Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.50 gal      
Boil Size: 7.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.065 SG
Estimated Color: 26.5 SRM
Estimated IBU: 32.7 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount        Item                                      Type         % or IBU      
8 lbs         Maris Otter (Crisp) (4.0 SRM)             Grain        60.38 %       
2 lbs 8.0 oz  Brown Malt (65.0 SRM)                     Grain        18.87 %       
2 lbs         Amber Malt (22.0 SRM)                     Grain        15.09 %       
8.0 oz        Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM)                    Grain        3.77 %        
4.0 oz        Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM)           Grain        1.89 %        
2.00 oz       Goldings, B.C. [5.00 %]  (60 min)         Hops         29.7 IBU      
1.00 oz       Goldings, B.C. [5.00 %]  (5 min)          Hops         3.0 IBU       
1.10 oz       Irish Moss (Boil 15.0 min)                Misc                       
1 Pkgs        British Ale (Wyeast Labs #1098)           Yeast-Ale                  

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body
Total Grain Weight: 13.25 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Light Body
Step Time     Name               Description                         Step Temp     
75 min        Mash In            Add 16.56 qt of water at 165.3 F    150.0 F       
10 min        Mash Out           Add 10.60 qt of water at 202.4 F    168.0 F

Get rid of the black patent and use some Chocolate. It wouldn't hurt to use some crystal and munich in place of the brown and amber malt. I've never brewed with those, so I'm not too sure what they contribute. I'd also cut it down to 1 oz of hops at 60 min.

good idea with the chocolate vs black patent and the hops reduction.

i'm using the amber and brown since they're "traditional" in an english porter and i got 'em kicking around.

although i have a bunch of crystal and munich on hand.

****, i should brew two half batches. one with crystal/munich and one with amber/brown and see what the difference is.

i think i will do that. since two 3 gallon batches will take me just as much time as 1 6 gallon batch thank you very much split boils on my crappy gas stove...

I don't think you should reduce your 60 minute addition. Why do that? Your IBUs aren't high. The gravity's 1.065. Wouldn't want the IBUs lower, personally. If he meant getting rid of late additions, that's a separate thing. But 1 oz at 60 minutes is going to reduce your IBUs a lot. I wouldn't want a porter with that high of a gravity with 18 IBUs.

I wouldn't get rid of your late additions either. If anything, I'd increase the IBUs by 5 or so.

My 2 cents.

I like the recipe as it stands.

Remarkably, it resembles a late 19th-century English grist - if you get rid of the oats, the percentages are within a few points of the originals. The gravity is right in line, as is the hopping rate.

I say brew it as it stands. You'll have a very historical and profoundly interesting beer which will age well in bottle.

Cheers! :mug:

Bob

Back