7 gallon igloo cooler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jayfro21

Reaction score
It seems that walmart has those round igloo coolers in 7 gallons as opposed to 5 or 10 gallons for $28.88. What do you think, if I want to brew 5 gallon batches and brew some "big" beers. And by the way, could someone give me a definition of big beers because I take it as a high gravity beer, but does it also mean a high alcohol beer? What styles would be considered a big beer (porter, stout?)? Thanks!

Jason

28.88 is a good price but I'd see what a 10 gallon would cost. If it's 10 or 15 dollars more, that's what I'd do.

Go big dude. As you start getting into AG even more, you will be happy you did. :D

Target has 10 gallon for 49.99, and I dont have a walmart near me, so ill probably do that

Jayfro21 said:
Target has 10 gallon for 49.99, and I dont have a walmart near me, so ill probably do that

No Wal-Mart near you!!! Tell me where you live so I can move there lol.

Jayfro21 said:
And by the way, could someone give me a definition of big beers because I take it as a high gravity beer, but does it also mean a high alcohol beer? What styles would be considered a big beer (porter, stout?)? Thanks!
High gravity and high alcohol go hand in hand. Styles that are definitely 'big' are things like barleywines and 'imperial' anything, as well as a lot of belgians, etc. Contrary to (uninformed) popular belief, porters and stouts are not necessarily 'big' at all, in fact many stouts are quite low in alcohol (guinness is what, 3.5%?). Obviously there are some 'big' porters and stouts, but it's not the norm for the styles.

joshpooh said:
No Wal-Mart near you!!! Tell me where you live so I can move there lol.

San Francisco, seems people of this city still value mom and pop businesses, but what else would you expect from the hippie mecca! Closest one is Oakland, and although that doesn't seem far, crossing the Bay BRidge is not my favorite thing to do

Funkenjaeger said:
High gravity and high alcohol go hand in hand. Styles that are definitely 'big' are things like barleywines and 'imperial' anything, as well as a lot of belgians, etc. Contrary to (uninformed) popular belief, porters and stouts are not necessarily 'big' at all, in fact many stouts are quite low in alcohol (guinness is what, 3.5%?). Obviously there are some 'big' porters and stouts, but it's not the norm for the styles.

Ok thanks! I guess I have never had a barleywine or imperial, but I will have to try one and see if I like that style. Any suggestions? I am not sure if this is appropriate for this forum, but I was drinking a cranberry lambic last night, which I believe is like a hefe with some cranberry flavoring, and I did not enjoy the banana-y (maybe estery?) flavor at all! I havent had a hefe for awhile, maybe this is why! Anyways

Jason

Jayfro21 said:
San Francisco, seems people of this city still value mom and pop businesses, but what else would you expect from the hippie mecca! Closest one is Oakland, and although that doesn't seem far, crossing the Bay BRidge is not my favorite thing to do
No Walmarts?!? Tell me there are no Starbucks there either, and I'm selling my house and moving!!

I can do about a 1.060 beer in a 5gal cooler without DME, so I would guess the 7 gal could do a little over 1.070 without problem. Thats good enough for every thing except the really big beers. For bigger beers you can supplement with DME.
Styles not handled would include:
Imperial Stout
Imperial/Double IPA
Belgian Strong Ale
Barleywine
Scottish Wee Heavy
A few other really strong sipping beers.

Craig Baker

BlindLemonLars said:
No Walmarts?!? Tell me there are no Starbucks there either, and I'm selling my house and moving!!

A few years ago, SWMBO and I went to N.Y.C. by bus (her art school, museum trip).
As we were entering the city, going south, I noticed the number of Starbucks' and started counting them...
I stopped when I reached 65 or something like that!

Comedy Central had a audio clip of Lewis Black and the two Starbucks facing each over... funny stuff.

Back