Heady Topper Clone (BYO)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is the recipe and it doesn't say "Citra"

B36EA756-98B6-425A-B081-CBABFABE871B-162-00000001C47844BB_zps30594a8e.jpg

Weird! What issue of BYO is this picture from?

The OP posted on Feb 16, 2013 that he was posting the recipe from "the current issue of BYO" which I took to mean the March-April 2013 issue, because in that issue they have an article on Hop Stands. In that article they have a recipe called "Over the Topper DIPA" to which they state "This is a clone of one of my favorite double IPAs, Heady Topper, from Alchemist Brewery in Vermont".

The recipe in my Mar/Apr 2013 issue of BYO is identical to the one posted by the OP in the first post of this thread, except that it also lists 1 Oz Citra as primary drop hop.

In the picture above, you'll note that there's all sorts of other differences from what the OP posted too, including:

They actually called it "Heady Topper clone" instead of "Over the Topper DIPA"
OG of 1.076 instead of 1.074 (as per my MAr/Apr 2013 issue)
FG of 1.014 instead of 1.012
15 lbs British malt instead of 13
6 oz Caravienne instead of 4 oz
1 lb turbinato sugar instead of just "sucrose"
7 AAU Magnum at 60 mins instead of none
13 AAU Simcoe at 30 min instead of 19.5
8.6 AAU Apollo at knockout instead of 17.2
7 AAU Columbus at knockout instead of none
.... many other hop changes ....
Finally a completely different yeast: WY1028 or WLP013 instead of WY1056/WLP001

What issue of BYO is the picture from?

Kal

Oct 2013. "VT Cult Clones"
Ah - ok. That explains it. We're looking at different issues of the magazine. I was responding to the original poster who commented on the March-April 2013 issue. Seems that 6 months later they printed a different "clone". (which is probably better)

Kal

I brewed the BYO Oct. 2013 version (with the 60 min. Magnum addition) earlier this year and it was awesome.
Since I couldn't get any Conan yeast I used 70% WLP-001 and 30% Lallemand 71B wine yeast to get some of that fruity character that Conan has.
Will be brewing this again soon.

I did a split batch - they're exactly 2.5 weeks into the kegs so they're perfect right now.

I did half with Yeast Bay's Vermont Ale, the other half with Chico (Safale US-05). Ferment at 64F for 5-7 days then raise to 70-72F until complete.

As expected the Yeast Bay's Vermont Ale is fruiter / more peachy - it compliments the hops well. The Chico was more neutral. Both are excellent but if I had to choose one I like better, it's the Yeast Bay Vermont Ale (probably partially because Chico's my house strain and I brew a lot of American Ales so anything slightly different is interesting). ;)

Kal

I can't source the Vermont strain locally and it's still to damned hot here in Las Vegas for shipping.

I ordered the H.T. kit from Northern Brewer and plan on fermenting it with WLP001.

Got my 'version' going right now. No apollo here, so I used Columbus in those places. Also just going to use Nottingham, since no one local carries Conan. Like I said, a version instead of a clone...lol. Thanks for the thread!

Back