Nitrogen instead of CO2?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BierMuncher

...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Is stout the only beer that can be better when pressurized with nitrogen?

This probably falls under the category of "what the hell kind of question is that?"

Sorry...:eek:

Nope. I've had APA's and other styles from a cask with nitrogen carbonation. Thet're quite awesome, very smooth and creamy, regardless of style. :mug:

You can't use nitrogen instead of CO2. It is used in conjunction with CO2. A 75% to 25% nitrogen to CO2 ratio, IIRC. You need to use CARBON dioxide to CARBONate.

In order to serve a stout through a stout faucet, which has a restrictor plate, a high serving pressure is required. If only CO2 was used it would be highly overcarbonated. Using a 75/25 mix of nitrogen and CO2 allows for this higher pressure without overcarbonating. When the beer passes through the restrictor plate in the faucet the pressure is reduced, the nitrogen is knocked out of solution and gives you that famous cascading head of tiny bubbles.

John,You just ruined it for me....I thought the" beer gods" gave the stouts the "cascading bubble effect". Nah...all kidding aside-I never knew that,and would never have guessed the stout faucet was that special . Guess it does pay to read all the posts here. Shane

Pyramid Brewing here in CA has a House beer that they serve. It's their normal Pale Ale but with a Nitro Push. Excellent Beer. I'm not a hop head (read I don't generally like pale ales) but the Nitro adds creamyness and mouth-feel while cutting the bitter. You get clean strong hop taste without alot of bitternes. If I had a keg setup I'd be brewing one right now.

Back