Calling all Experts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackntan

Reaction score
Here's my situation...

First off, I didn't get a hydrometer when I bought my set up, I was told I didn't need one, "sounded strange at the time, but I went along with it". I have one now! I have read in different posts that the gravity of the brew is based on the ingredients used

I brewed my first batch on 2/14.... below is my receipe.

5 gallon batch:
1 lbs of Breiss Amber Dry Malt Grains
1/2 lbs. Breiss Crystal Grains
1 lbs. Breiss Dry Malt Extract
4 lbs. Muntons Nut Brown Ale Extract
2 lbs. Corn Sugar
2 lbs. Pure Honey

From the list of ingredients, does anyone know what the gravity should be by the time it goes from the primary to the secondary?

This is my first baby and I'm already nervous, and It is my own recipe that I put together from several differnt ones I read. Be kind if you don't like it.

Thanks for any help

Do you have beersmith, or some other software? If so, it'll tell you.

I just punched you numbers into beersmith and it says your OG should have been around 1.080, and your final will be around 1.018, depending on the yeast you used. But I think they key is to relax, and have a homebrew. Then, take readings with your hydrometer every couple of days, and rack to your secondary when you get the same value for two readings.

ETA - just re-reading your header, I'm not an expert... ;)

+1 to ~1.080. If you tell use what brand and variety of yeast you pitched, we can estimate what sort of gravity at which it'll be 'finished'.

But as BioBeing wrote, the only thing that'll tell you fer sure it's done is your trusty hydrometer. Two - my preference is three - like readings in a row means the ferment is complete, and it's safe to rack it.

Good luck, and WELCOME! :mug:

Bob

I have the demo of Beersmith, and I haven't quite got the hang of it just yet... As far as the yeast, I used a blue package, and if I remember correctly, I think it was for "brown ale"

As far as Beersmtih.... I typed in all my ingredients in, but what I don't under stand is the difference between....

"Original Gravity Estimate" @ 1.077
"Stlye OG" @ 1.044-1.048,
"Measured OG" @ 1.010.

And then

"Final Gravity Estimate" @ 1.018
"Stlye FG" @ 1.008-1.014
"Measured OG" @ 1.005.

I understand what the ABV of 4.50-5.00%, and I would like to raise that to 6.00%

When I first got my hydrometer, I was confused about how to use it. I dont know if you've got the hang of it yet, but this video helped me out a lot. Plus the dude cracks me up! :D

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVi4r2lAxx8]YouTube - Using your hydrometer[/ame]

I have the demo of Beersmith, and I haven't quite got the hang of it just yet... As far as the yeast, I used a blue package, and if I remember correctly, I think it was for "brown ale"

As far as Beersmtih.... I typed in all my ingredients in, but what I don't under stand is the difference between....

"Measured OG" @ 1.010.

And then

"Stlye FG" @ 1.008-1.014
"Measured OG" @ 1.005.

I understand what the ABV of 4.50-5.00%, and I would like to raise that to 6.00%
If your OG is 1.080 then you are looking at ~8% depending on FG.

but what I don't under stand is the difference between....

"Measured OG" @ 1.010.

And then

"Stlye FG" @ 1.008-1.014
"Measured OG" @ 1.005.

OG estimate- is what beersmith thinks the gravity into the fermenter should be according to your input grain bill.
Style OG- is the OG range that that particular style of beer has.
Measured OG- what you measured on the hydrometer before starting fermentation.

FG estimate- what beersmith thinks the FG will be after fermentation depending on your grain bill and yeast.
Measured FG- what you measured after fermentation is complete(before bottling).

THANKS for posting that video! Ive done ALOT of homework on home brewing and i'm only on my 7th batch but can you believe I didn't read anywhere that you take your FG and read across then subtract that from the OG! I just figured hey, kit says 1.069 ending at 1.019 and if im spot on then i have what the OG read for potential abv, always thinking my abv was 2-3 % higher than it really was. Leaving my brews really at 4% and that's like a BMC so i guess my extra buzz was in my head.

THANKS for posting that video! Ive done ALOT of homework on home brewing and i'm only on my 7th batch but can you believe I didn't read anywhere that you take your FG and read across then subtract that from the OG! I just figured hey, kit says 1.069 ending at 1.019 and if im spot on then i have what the OG read for potential abv, always thinking my abv was 2-3 % higher than it really was. Leaving my brews really at 4% and that's like a BMC so i guess my extra buzz was in my head.

Yeah thats crazy how that works. like he said too, to really dial it in, make sure your OG and FG samples are similar temperatures. I have yet to get them the same, but then again ive only brewed 2 batches.

Back