extension cord to fridge?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kornbread

Reaction score
We are moving soon and the new place has a building out back that will someday, after I finish all of my other inside work, become a brew-pub. But, for now I'm going to be using it for a place to store my brewing stuff.

I have a fermentation fridge that I want to use but, there is no electricity to the building yet. I've heard that running a long extension cord to a fridge is a bad Idea. In fact, my brother and I put a beer fridge in his storage shed a few years ago on an extension cord and the fridge died pretty quick.

For a temporary solution, I'm thinking that I could get some heavy wire from an electrical supply store and build an extension cord that could carry enough current that it wouldn't damage the compressor.

Good/bad idea?

If so, what size wire would be best?

Is there some sort of ratio for "size of wire vs. length of wire run" that I should know?

Thanks.

I'm not an electrician so I can't give you any super valuable advice, but the biggest cost in making an extension cord that long is the wire. Seems like it wouldn't cost much more just to wire a circuit that's up to code. Plus, you could run something else like a light or something.

I don't imagine anyone is going to give you direct advice about cable size without knowing how many amps you intend to run as well as anything else that's already on the circuit in your house. The size of breaker in your main panel will also determine the appropriate gauge of wire to run.

We need more information in order to help you.

(1) How far is the run (from source to fridge)?
(2) What will you be plugging into - regular outlet - and 15 or 20 amp circuit?
(3) Extra credit - if you have the nameplate rating, that would help (amps).

Based on the input above, I can tell you what you need.

12 AWG should be good to 100Ft. You can buy it cheaper than making it. If your worried go 10 AWG, but it's overkill.

Run length only has to do with voltage drop. The run from the outlet to the distribution panel is also of importance. Serge current is what you have to design for. I'd bet it's well under 10 amps.

(1) How far is the run (from source to fridge)?
(2) What will you be plugging into - regular outlet - and 15 or 20 amp circuit?
(3) Extra credit - if you have the nameplate rating, that would help (amps).

Based on the input above, I can tell you what you need.

I check this weekend and get the numbers. Thanks.

Back