Please comment and advise on this Tripel recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RyanT

Reaction score
I'm taking a shot at creating my first recipe for a Belgian Tripel. I will be doing dry malt extract, and a partial mash. Any comments or advice is welcome!

6 lb light dry extract
3 lb pilsner (2 row) malt
1 oz styrian goldings (75 min)
1 oz hallertauer (60 min)
.5 oz styrian (20 min)
.25 oz orange peel (10 min)
1.5 lb clear candi sugar (10 min)
.5 oz hallertauer (5 min)
Wyeast trappist high gravity yeast

1. Using a 5 gallon pot for boil, batch size of 5 gal. I'm going to do my partial mash at 151* for 60 min. Any advice on this mini-mash would be very helpful, since I don't quite understand the nuance of mash temps and time quite yet. I have done two partial mashes like this before, so I understand the mechanics of it.

2. do you all prefer Lyle's golden syrup instead of candi sugar for Tripels?

3. Hallertauer hops - should i just replace those with Saaz? I see a lot of Tripel recipe's with Saaz, but they seem very similar.

4. Should i use two packets of this yeast, to ensure that my fermentation does not get stuck?

Thanks.

Just use plain sugar. For the lighter Belgians that is what they use. You can go up to 20% of the gravity for a Tripel with regards to the sugar addition. Personally to me a Tripel is Pils, Sugar, Yeast and a Noble hop (Tettnang, etc)...but that's just the traditional side of me coming out. Hallertau should be fine, but personally I avoid aroma additions in a Tripel and really only do a bittering.

I'm taking a shot at creating my first recipe for a Belgian Tripel. I will be doing dry malt extract, and a partial mash. Any comments or advice is welcome!

6 lb light dry extract
3 lb pilsner (2 row) malt
1 oz styrian goldings (75 min)
1 oz hallertauer (60 min)
.5 oz styrian (20 min)
.25 oz orange peel (10 min)
1.5 lb clear candi sugar (10 min)
.5 oz hallertauer (5 min)
Wyeast trappist high gravity yeast

1. Using a 5 gallon pot for boil, batch size of 5 gal. I'm going to do my partial mash at 151* for 60 min. Any advice on this mini-mash would be very helpful, since I don't quite understand the nuance of mash temps and time quite yet. I have done two partial mashes like this before, so I understand the mechanics of it.

2. do you all prefer Lyle's golden syrup instead of candi sugar for Tripels?

3. Hallertauer hops - should i just replace those with Saaz? I see a lot of Tripel recipe's with Saaz, but they seem very similar.

4. Should i use two packets of this yeast, to ensure that my fermentation does not get stuck?

Thanks.

1. I'd shoot more for 149*F for your mash. You want the trippel bone dry.

2. Most of the breweries in Belgium will use plain white sugar refined from beets for the sugar additions. Candy sugar isn't needed unless you need the addition for color. (dubbel) Save money and just use the table sugar.

3. I'd use either Hallertauer or Saaz. *shrug*

4. You should use an appropriate sized starter. Use Mr Malty Pitching Rate Calculator to figure out what size starter you need.

If you're going for a traditional trippel, skip the orange peel. That's not any of the hallmarks of the style that I'm aware of.

Skip the orange peel, look at some Special B or CaraMunich. Definitely pick up Brew Like a Monk

1. I'd shoot more for 149*F for your mash. You want the trippel bone dry.

It probably won't matter terribly much as the grain is really only a very small portion of the total in this. If it were AG, I completely agree. Either way though, if you put enough sugar in it, it'll get pretty dry.

Skip the orange peel, look at some Special B or CaraMunich. Definitely pick up Brew Like a Monk

I agree to skip the orange peel, but I wouldn't add any dark grains to a Tripel recipe.

Saaz are where it's at for a Tripel, in my opinion. They complement the spicy characteristics of the yeast very well. Hallertauer are more subdued; earthy and smooth, I believe.

Look for Pilsener Malt Extract. It will make all the difference. The light extract is probably made from 2-row, which is quite different from Pils.

I agree to skip the orange peel, but I wouldn't add any dark grains to a Tripel recipe.

Saaz are where it's at for a Tripel, in my opinion. They complement the spicy characteristics of the yeast very well. Hallertauer are more subdued; earthy and smooth, I believe.

Look for Pilsener Malt Extract. It will make all the difference. The light extract is probably made from 2-row, which is quite different from Pils.

I like to add some of the darker malts in there, not a lot, but I think it adds a lot of depth to the beer. Just looking though BLaM and the darker malts have a 25-35% incidence in homebrews

thanks to everyone for their comments.

if I were to throw in some darker malt (the special B or the CaraV), how much? maybe 1/2 lb? I understand that I don't want to go overboard and overwhelm the lighter pilsner malt. I don't think my LHBS carries pilsner malt extract, so I have a feeling that I will be using the plain old light dry malt extract, please take that into consideration as well.

Then I'd order the pilsner malt from an online homebrew shops. I wouldn't be happy with my first attempt at the style and having to cut corners.

Having two cases of almost trippel mocking me would drive me up the wall.

Then I'd order the pilsner malt from an online homebrew shops. I wouldn't be happy with my first attempt at the style and having to cut corners.

Having two cases of almost trippel mocking me would drive me up the wall.

just looked at Midwest and Austin brew online. Don't see any Pilsner extracts. Do you mean "extra light dry malt extract" is the same sort of thing as "pilsner extract?"

keep in mind- my plan is to use 6 lb of extract and partial-mash 3 lb of pilsner malt on the stovetop.

I like to add some of the darker malts in there, not a lot, but I think it adds a lot of depth to the beer. Just looking though BLaM and the darker malts have a 25-35% incidence in homebrews

In BLaM it says the average incidence of Cara or crystal malts in a Tripel is 1%. The high is 4%. The recipe it gives does not include any except a touch of aromatic malt, which is quite similar to the recipe Jamil gives in BCS.

I would read over the style guidelines again to become a little more familiar with the Tripel style.

a bit of a tangent here, but this thread seems an appropriate place to ask.

I'm brewing my first Trippel tomorrow, and was told to use Perle hops. That didn't sound right to me, but my LHBS has never failed me before. I also have Centennial and Northern Brewer on hand, but those seem to be even worse options based on my own personal experience with those two hop varities.

Also, I was told to use White Labs Belgian Golden Ale yeast...I forget the number. Will this yeast produce sufficent spicy esters, or should I go with some coriander and clove at the last 10 minutes of the boil? I've over spiced beers before, and DO NOT want to do it again, especially with this brew. Any help would be well appreciated......I've got 13 hours until I plan to start the mash! :D

Back