Just used a juicer . . . .

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Liquisky

Reaction score
Recently used juicer for kiwi and cranberry meads I put together. Used 2 pounds of kiwi, got mostly juice and fine pulp that has settled to the bottom of the 1 gal jug after 5 days.

2 pounds of cranberry made about a cup of juice (powerful tart stuff).

Can I hear the pros and cons of using a juicer instead of whole fruit in mead?

Thanks

I add another question. What about crushing the fruit, instead of blending or whole fruit?

well, here's my newbie experience ..... I usually hand-crush my fruit. I like this because you can put the pulp in bags for easy removal. Also it reduces the chance that the pulp will rise to the surface and block gas exchange, which I have had happen before. Not pretty. Typically I will weigh the bag down with a glass paperweight to keep it at the bottom too.

Haven't ever blended or used whole fruit, so can't comment!

I don't own a juicer so I blenderize it, run it through a screen to remove the pulp and then take the pulp and freeze it, thaw it, then douse it with pectin enzyme for a few hours. After treating with the enzime, I can usually get a cup or two out of the pulp again when I run it through the screen. Then I just use the juice. I find that I don't have too much sediment and things are cleaner over all. Once I did use strawberries blenderized and put the whole thing in a mesh bag. That turned out well too. Just needed to let the mesh bag hang and drain a bit into a bucket at my next racking.

I am all for not messing up my wifes kitchen and keeping things clean and organized, even if it takes an extra step or two. Makes gravity readings more accarate too.

Back