Caramelized Wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aleforge

Reaction score
I need to caramelize a few ounces of wort for my wee heavy and I have never done it before. Do I just crank up the heat on a sauce pan and dump it in until it thickens? I just don't want to "burn" it.

Any tips would be appreciated!

normally a 90 minute boil will give you slightly darker color. Decoction also does the same but better. Ive never heard of sauce pan carmelization but i could be living in a hole...

I ended up doing what the recipe said, taking only 4 ounces or so and caramelizing it in a sauce pan. Its such a small amount I wonder if it actually did anything. *shrug*

If i want a bit of carmelization on a brew i crank up the boil kettle for a bit then while im waiting for the 168 rest and after i have recirculated i drop some in the boil kettle and let it sit. It hisses and steams but its getting some carmeliztion, exactly what I want in certain beers.

Latest posts

Back